ph0rk

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

H. Res. 847: Recognizing the importance of Christmas and the Christian faith

--------

Recognizing the importance of Christmas and the Christian faith.

Whereas Christmas, a holiday of great significance to Americans and many other cultures and nationalities, is celebrated annually by Christians throughout the United States and the world;

Whereas there are approximately 225,000,000 Christians in the United States, making Christianity the religion of over three-fourths of the American population;

Whereas there are approximately 2,000,000,000 Christians throughout the world, making Christianity the largest religion in the world and the religion of about one-third of the world population;

Whereas Christians identify themselves as those who believe in the salvation from sin offered to them through the sacrifice of their savior, Jesus Christ, the Son of God, and who, out of gratitude for the gift of salvation, commit themselves to living their lives in accordance with the teachings of the Holy Bible;

Whereas Christians and Christianity have contributed greatly to the development of western civilization;

Whereas the United States, being founded as a constitutional republic in the traditions of western civilization, finds much in its history that points observers back to its roots in Christianity;

Whereas on December 25 of each calendar year, American Christians observe Christmas, the holiday celebrating the birth of their savior, Jesus Christ;

Whereas for Christians, Christmas is celebrated as a recognition of God's redemption, mercy, and Grace; and

Whereas many Christians and non-Christians throughout the United States and the rest of the world, celebrate Christmas as a time to serve others: Now, therefore be it

Resolved, That the House of Representatives--

(1) recognizes the Christian faith as one of the great religions of the world;

(2) expresses continued support for Christians in the United States and worldwide;

(3) acknowledges the international religious and historical importance of Christmas and the Christian faith;

(4) acknowledges and supports the role played by Christians and Christianity in the founding of the United States and in the formation of the western civilization;

(5) rejects bigotry and persecution directed against Christians, both in the United States and worldwide; and

(6) expresses its deepest respect to American Christians and Christians throughout the world.

That is nuts. It's either time for me to leave this country or those idiot representatives that passed the bill.

I'd rather the government spend time doing stupid stuff like that, rather than actually spending money doing stuff that only benefits a few people and is completely outside the scope of gov't. Given a choice between stupidity wasting time, and actively hurting the country...

Honestly sometimes I wonder if any of these politicians even have a brain. Where we find some of these idiots is beyond me. I'd rather they sit around and do nothing then waste time/money like they always do. But I guess thats what happens when government gets stupidly large and involved in things it has no business being involved in.

I'd rather the government spend time doing stupid stuff like that, rather than actually spending money doing stuff that only benefits a few people and is completely outside the scope of gov't. Given a choice between stupidity wasting time, and actively hurting the country...

I guess the more time they spend on this they aren't trying to find ways to start a war with Iran or someone else.

This Christmas bill comes dangerously close to legislating morality, which is my absolute least favorite thing the government does, and also is outside the scope of government. :prettyprincess:

This Christmas bill comes dangerously close to legislating morality, which is my absolute least favorite thing the government does, and also is outside the scope of government. :prettyprincess:

The bill doesn't do anything tho. It's just a "yay christians" statement. Unlike making murder and theft illegal, which are actively legislating morality.

Where we find some of these idiots is beyond me.

You can look up the supporters. The rep from North Carolina, Walter Jones, is from the 3rd district, which includes Pitt county and the crystal coast.

A place where business put christian symbols on their placards/shops. I guess they don't want the Jews or Muslims to shop there/hire them.

I'm quite certain these people feel that legislating morality is exactly why they are in Washington.

The bill doesn't do anything tho. It's just a "yay christians" statement. Unlike making murder and theft illegal, which are actively legislating morality.

Yup. Congress and the White House make declarations like this all the time.

Don't know why this one has everybody's panties in a bunch...

Yup. Congress and the White House make declarations like this all the time.

Don't know why this one has everybody's panties in a bunch...

No matter how many times they may do something like this, it doesn't make it any less stupid and offensive. The same would be true no matter what religion was substituted for Chritianity.

Because in a world where there is plenty of shit to do this strikes me as a colossal fucking waste of time and resources.

On a governmental scale, this doesn't even reach the level of waste. Spending time doing this means they aren't spending billions on pet projects...

::)

It is offensive to me. Sorry, but is having a thick skin about every issue a badge of courage or something with you?

I guess everyone has a different idea of what is offensive... I just can't get worked up about silly declarations for this or that cause,

this or that religion, this or that ethnic holiday that Congress does all year long....

I guess everyone has a different idea of what is offensive... I just can't get worked up about silly declarations for this or that cause,

this or that religion, this or that ethnic holiday that Congress does all year long....

I suppose there is some validity to this. Its like the story of the scorpion and the frog. The scorpion needs to get across the river, and so he asks the frog for help. And the frog is like "Nah man, you are a scorpion, you'll just sting me!" But the scorpion pleads, and swears he won't sting the frog. So the frog caves and gives the scorpion a lift across the river. Once they get across, the scorpion stings the frog. As the poison flows through the frog, and he lays there dying, he says, "But you swore, you said you wouldn't sting me!" And the scorpion says, "What'd you expect? I'm a scorpion."

Meaning its a bit ridiculous to get too worked up about the government wasting time and money. Its just what they do.