Anyone tried the new button-less RS-1?

Salt Peanuts

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how do they compare to your recabled pair?

I may just end up ordering a pair soon since I'm just too impatient.

Based on the briefest of comparisons, I believe that the recabled pair is slightly peakier in the upper midrange, making the newer buttonless pair more pleasant to listen to. Whether this is attributable to the old design or the recable (or both) is debatable.

Also, when listening to the recabled pair, I have to connect it to an Black Dragon XLRx2 -> furutech SE plug in order to run it off my Dynahi, so this should also be taken into account.

After doing an "Invisible Touch" shootout, using the 32VD-1023 Black Triangle pressing, its obvious the recabled pair offers more overall clarity, especially in the midrange. The buttonless RS-1 with stock cable does come across as slightly muddier, but only relative to the recabled pair. I'd really like to hear an apuresound recabled buttonless pair for comparison, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

The buttonless RS-1 does sound more neutral, meaning less trebly and peaky in the upper midrange. I could be mistaking this for less clarity? More listening will tell.

A more interesting comparison will be the serial numberless RS-1 with stock cable vs. the buttonless RS-1 with stock cable. I'll keep you all posted.

There is a peakiness in the upper midrange of the recabled buttoned pair that is fatiguing. This fatigue is simply not present in the buttonless pair.

Yup yup. I don't know whether to attribute this to the button or the recable, it could be either. On the buttonless RS-1, Phil's vocals are smooth and easy, if maybe the tiniest bit muffled, like a less liquid and refined HP2. On the buttoned recabled RS-1, Phil's vocals are clearer and more forward, but the peakiness can hurt my head a little. This midrange reminds me of the W11JPN midrange, which was fatiguing to me. Instruments do seem to have more room to breathe on the recabled RS-1, and treble hits have more clarity.

post count +3 yay.

Yup yup. I don't know whether to attribute this to the button or the recable, it could be either. On the buttonless RS-1, Phil's vocals are smooth and easy, if maybe the tiniest bit muffled, like a less liquid and refined HP2. On the buttoned recabled RS-1, Phil's vocals are clearer and more forward, but the peakiness can hurt my head a little. This midrange reminds me of the W11JPN midrange, which was fatiguing to me. Instruments do seem to have more room to breathe on the recabled RS-1, and treble hits have more clarity.

post count +3 yay.

Seems to me that "sounds worse" is more accurate for phil collins...

Are the color variations in the mahogany wood of the RS-1s simply a factor of time? Or does it have more to do with a particular sample of wood used in the production of the cups? I wonder if the last of the buttoned RS-1s and the new buttonless RS-1s will eventually turn dark red like the vintage pairs...

Are the color variations in the mahogany wood of the RS-1s simply a factor of time? Or does it have more to do with a particular sample of wood used in the production of the cups? I wonder if the last of the buttoned RS-1s and the new buttonless RS-1s will eventually turn dark red like the vintage pairs...

There are variations on Mahogany (as in all wood pieces), but I suspect it's mostly a time factor as Mahogany darkens over time.

Its easy to test the "button" theory. Rather then painfully removing the button on an existing pair, just put your thumbs in the middle of the grill and listen for differences. I've tried this on my ps-1 and didn't notice a difference in the sound. Perhaps John listened to the constant whining about the treble and the button, and did something about it?

Biggie.

i did the same thing with the PS-1s, when i was borrowing a pair, and i didn't hear any difference, either. i was a little more scientific, though, i held a dime to the center of each cup. ;)

THAT DOESN'T WORK BECAUSE THE DIME IS METAL AND YOUR FINGER IS SKIN AND THE RS-1 BUTTON IS WOODEN