Best Black Headphones?

Dusty Chalk

Alright, you know me -- black is beautiful. So what should my short list be? Besides the O2's, which I will be getting at some point, just because they're black.

Second best? I think it's a toss-up -- until I get my customized DT880, I won't know for sure, but at some point, I'm going to go through all the options and buy one. There would still be two places that it isn't black -- the cover, and the personalizable tabs.

Either that, or the Audio Technica A950Ltd. I already have that one, so I'll probably keep both.

Stax SR-X ;D
Yeah, that's pretty black. Actually, I have the SRS-3010 system, which consists of the SRM-310 (black) and SR-202 (also black). So of course it sounds pretty damn good.
The K240DF is brutally black. Everything about it is black. None of those silly silver or gold rings or orange driver capsules. Even the vent paper is black.
Now you're talking. naughty.gif

thedjking_1974_39393258

I'm working on an all-black (cue the Haka) setup with a Lavry Black, an SRM-1, and SR-Lambdas. And Blue Jeans Cable interconnects, but with black techflex on them. I'll be listening exclusively to Arcade Fire's Black Mirror and AC/DC's Back in Black for the first hours. After the initial burn-in, I might try out some Black Sabbath (Snowblind). No white noise for the burn-in, and no White Stripes or the the Beatles' White Album for at least the first months. I don't listen to Michael Jackson anyway, so no need to invent a bad joke about him now.

Because once you go Stax/black... yeah. O0

Nice one Steve, although I do prefer the look of the black 600 grills to the painted 580 grills. Actually, the 586s (what I call them) are a pretty sexy headphone, much more so than the marbled blech that is the 600s.

I completely agree on all points. My 600 grills and new pads are on backorder for a few weeks until Sennheiser gets more 600 grills in stock.

damn, that'll look really sexy

I've had the desire for a black K1K since I first got them. I've never been keen on how they look normally so one set will be blacked. Even thought about using a black stax headstrap as I like that design. I want them to look super awesome. :prettyprincess:

So how will you go about this? Powder coating?

I do remember someone powder coating their K1000 grills, but they did have a problem fitting them back in place, as the powder coating made the grills slightly larger.

The leather straps would be uber cool!

I have two ways to go, powder coat or black anodizing. The interesting thing is what each would do to the grills. The powder would likely make them less resonant, the anodizing will probably make them ring more due to hardening. Powder will be matt, anodizing will be shiny. It's a toughie.

As long as the powder is not spooned on it shouldn't make too much of a difference to size, anodizing may make them a little brittle due to how fine the mesh is. I'm currently thinking powder coat at this point.

Hmmmm, best black headphones...

I'd go with custom woody Grados (insert HF-1/225/325) w/ Ebony, black grills and an old-school black leather headband.

img60.jpg

Needs black grills, deep cups... instead of gold plating, black nickel plating of the 1/4" jack, though a black 4pin XLR would be fine/preferable.

You could also use them for listening to movies such as "Men in Black", "Men in Black II", "Shaft", "Pitch Black", "Black Hawk Down", etc...

**BRENT**