I think the world might be flat.

Thelonious Monk

Considering that the Age of Enlightment brought things such as tolerance and understanding to the Western World, it would seem that some people didn't even make it out of the 17th century.

And I believe a famous NY Times columnist recently wrote a book about how the earth is flat.

Plus, I look outside my window, and it's flat.

indeed he did.

443.jpg

and it was quite good.

I thought it was ok. I think what he means is that the world is growing together, not sure why "flatter" and he's beating that analogy till death. Lots of stories but they all tell the same thing more or less. As a globalisation book, it's good but I prefer Baghwati's In Defence of Globalisation.

I've been trying to read that book for three months now, but every time I get three pages in, I fall asleep.

tmonk, your thread starting history is both curious and annoying. It's as if you're looking for controversy with sad scraps of human nature. What the heck do you think when you say to yourself, "I know, I'll start a thread with this on head-case. They'll like it."?

Considering that the Age of Enlightment brought things such as tolerance and understanding to the Western World, it would seem that some people didn't even make it out of the 17th century.

I'm tolerant of other cultures -- I think it's racist and absurd that westerners think their society is somehow superior to tribal societies, for example. Superstitious insanity like this I don't have a problem making fun of.

I thought it was ok. I think what he means is that the world is growing together, not sure why "flatter" and he's beating that analogy till death. Lots of stories but they all tell the same thing more or less. As a globalisation book, it's good but I prefer Baghwati's In Defence of Globalisation.

Exactly what I thought of the book, except I havent read Baghwati :P

tmonk, your thread starting history is both curious and annoying. It's as if you're looking for controversy with sad scraps of human nature. What the heck do you think when you say to yourself, "I know, I'll start a thread with this on head-case. They'll like it."?

Personally, I find things like this more interesting than the lifestyle accessory polls & watercooler chat that seems to clog this and most other forums.

If you didn't find the video amusing, here's a really cool spider.

1143.jpg

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/1640513/posts

P.S.: I detest globalism.