Ultrasone HFI-780

Fungi

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something that I found when attempting to answer some questions concerning the UE9 and 780. When ask about the ear cup opening sizes compared to my ears I found that my ear cups are smaller than my ears. My ears apparently fold into the ear cups. This has to change the way the sound is perceived if other's ears don't fold into them. It is like have my hands cupped over my ears allowing me to hear a little more distinctly. I wonder if this may have anything to do with the sound differences people are hearing?

Thanx Voltron & Vicky for your insights.

Just to clearify, as I can remember from Sovs post, he stated that balanced made a difference but not too much. LDJ325 on the other hand found it a huge improvement over single-ended. Unfortunately I have not yet had the chance hearing them balanced.

I can't imagine the 780's being close to the ed9's but it has been stated multiple times by multiple members so that got my attention. I will never blow any money on them though, I plan to go for the "real deal" instead.

What I also find funny is that the HFI-lineup from Ultrasone is meant to be for moviewatching purposes and not directly for music. That's what the Prolines are for. In the past the HFI's were not that loved like the Prolines are because of that and probably because of that never got that much attention.

But when Ultrasone announced the new HFI's "everyone" was all over them. That kinda struck me as odd. The comments on them are quite diverse as I'm used to concerning Ultrasones so I'm looking forward comparing them to my 750's although I don't expect to be blown away.

Vickys comments on the 780 were not that promising but they weren't fully burned-in so I take that with a grain of salt. I do think that when fully burned-in you also would not come to like them as you're not that fond of certain aspects in the Ultrasone sound.

I think my brother dislikes his 750's for the same reason and loves his HD600. Although I have to say he enjoys them more with my Larocco (which at first he thought I was making the stupidest buy of the century haha).

On a sidenote: about the rudistor, I'm planning on buying one in the future I think and the main difference between the RPX33 and the RPX100 is that the latter can go balanced, right??

What I also find funny is that the HFI-lineup from Ultrasone is meant to be for moviewatching purposes and not directly for music. That's what the Prolines are for. In the past the HFI's were not that loved like the Prolines are because of that and probably because of that never got that much attention.

But when Ultrasone announced the new HFI's "everyone" was all over them. That kinda struck me as odd.

I had the older HFI 650 and 700 (the latter just had a bit more bass), and didn't really like either of them. Pretty severe treble spike in a rather uncomfortable region (somewhere around 5-7 KHz) giving the impression of being detailed, and often made me cringe with certain songs. So my expectations for the 780 are rather low.

But I'm really looking forward to hearing the HE60 at the meet and see how close they are to the HE90.

You know, I thought your earlier post said Laurence/ldj325 liked the s/e better but I looked back and I read it wrong. In fact, the last I heard Laurence loved his balanced Ed.9s so that is more consistent with my memory anyway. He actually got the deal of the century on that rig because Rudi simply did not want to lug it back to Italy after the San Jose meet.

Very interesting about the HFI line, and I bet not that well known on Head Fi. It could make some sense of the way that sound is tipped up and not particularly suited to critical music listening. Thanks for pointing that out.

Lastly, the RPX-33 is s/e only both in and out, and is a dual mono topology according to Rudi. It has a pre-amp out, I believe. The RPX-100 is quad mono ("dual mono balanced using four separate amplifiers") and has 2 s/e input, 1 balanced input, high and low ohm s/e headphone outs, balanced headphone out, and pre-amp outputs in both s/e and balanced. The NX-33 is also a balanced option, but it is more limited and I do not think it has the same basic topology as the RPX-33.

What I also find funny is that the HFI-lineup from Ultrasone is meant to be for moviewatching purposes and not directly for music. That's what the Prolines are for.

That's interesting. I had no idea since I haven't exactly been paying attention except to notice they'd become quite popular. I do remember reading someone say that they were good for gaming, but I'd seen that said about all the Ultasones. I have no idea what headphones for movies should sound like, but I do know that the 780s didn't sound like audiophile headphones to me at all.

That's interesting. I had no idea since I haven't exactly been paying attention except to notice they'd become quite popular. I do remember reading someone say that they were good for gaming, but I'd seen that said about all the Ultasones. I have no idea what headphones for movies should sound like, but I do know that the 780s didn't sound like audiophile headphones to me at all.

The old HFIs were indeed quite good for gaming. Pinpoint accuracy in shooters.

I think the whole movie argument is killed by the fact that you couldn't wear them for more than 30 minutes without oversweating or overclamping your ears.

But I'm really looking forward to hearing the HE60 at the meet and see how close they are to the HE90.

Make sure you are using a good amp to drive the HE60 or they wont stand a chance. Properly amped I do prefer them to the He90 despite all their flaws as the bass is much cleaner, midrange better focused, so is the soundstage and they cost 1/6th of the HE90. :kitty:

Something that I found when attempting to answer some questions concerning the UE9 and 780. When ask about the ear cup opening sizes compared to my ears I found that my ear cups are smaller than my ears. My ears apparently fold into the ear cups. This has to change the way the sound is perceived if other's ears don't fold into them. It is like have my hands cupped over my ears allowing me to hear a little more distinctly. I wonder if this may have anything to do with the sound differences people are hearing?

Interesting, as that should indeed alter the sound. Your comment is the first I've read mentioning this. That would make them less comfortable I suppose, right?

Guest DogFish

Absolutely! I'm just saying my standards for fidelity and resolution are much lower when it comes to home theatre. cheap n loud 5.1 works for me.

(devil's advocate again.... >:D)

This is where my confusion comes in, where does it state that these phones are soley for movie watching and\or games? According to the site ultrasone lists Classical\Jazz and rock as the genres that best fit these phones also. Not saying they are "audiophile\analytical" grade, but it appears that these are your typical "utility" cans..

(devil's advocate again.... >:D)

This is where my confusion comes in, where does it state that these phones are soley for movie watching and\or games? According to the site ultrasone lists Classical\Jazz and rock as the genres that best fit these phones also. Not saying they are "audiophile\analytical" grade, but it appears that these are your typical "utility" cans..

Here is how Ultrasone describes the HFI-700:

"Character

These superior headphones are developed from the studio sector and are distinguished by a frequency response especially tuned for DVD. Sophisticated home cineasts and music enthusiasts are overwhelmed by the extraordinary sound that appears as though you are listening to speakers meters away from your head. Also demanding PC gamers appreciate the HFI-700 because of the impressing three-dimensional sound effects. The low frequency ranges are being risen in order to reach the highest possible synergies towards DSP-Systems like DOLBY HEADPHONE

Guest DogFish

Here is how Ultrasone describes the HFI-700:

"Character

These superior headphones are developed from the studio sector and are distinguished by a frequency response especially tuned for DVD. Sophisticated home cineasts and music enthusiasts are overwhelmed by the extraordinary sound that appears as though you are listening to speakers meters away from your head. Also demanding PC gamers appreciate the HFI-700 because of the impressing three-dimensional sound effects. The low frequency ranges are being risen in order to reach the highest possible synergies towards DSP-Systems like DOLBY HEADPHONE

Guest DogFish

They've covered most everthing there, but there's sometimes quite a difference between between marketing and reality. Maybe they do sound great with movies, but they don't sound that great with music

LOL! I'm not trying to argue that point, to each his own....

Guest DogFish

Okay. I take it that you like them, which is fine and dandy. I'm curious what you like about them since our experience seems to be quite different.

Haha... No I don't like them, well, I purchased the ALO modded version just to see what all the hoopla is about.... I should be receiving them tomorrow, and I'm going to post my "objective" opinion about them after their 2000 hour :laugh: burn in...

I figure out of my "audiophile" phones I could stand to have one "fun" pair...