Office Chair Suggestions?

tkam

Are these chairs really super comfy? Sit4Less advertises constantly on NPR, and they are always pimping the Herman Miller Aeron chair.

The aeron isn't super comfy in the short term, but it's more comfortable after sitting in it all day than most other chairs. And is adjustable in most of the ways you'd want it to be. But it's way over priced, at $750.

The aeron isn't super comfy in the short term, but it's more comfortable after sitting in it all day than most other chairs. And is adjustable in most of the ways you'd want it to be. But it's way over priced, at $750.

Right on. Really what I want is a super duper cushy office chair with adustable height. My current office chair doesn't offer enough padding on my butt for long term listening. Might be time to swing by OfficeMax and straight chill in the chair section for a bit.

The school provided Aeron chairs for us and I gotta say I love it. Good ass support and you can adjust it or your needs. I only wish I had a high back chair sometimes so I could rest my neck, but that really doesn't come up all that often. If I could afford one, I'd get one for my office at home. Someday.

Go into a Staples or an Office Max or an Office Depot, and start sitting down in a couple of them. Some of them are just plain more comfortable than others, and it was something I noticed right away. I would tell you what I decided on, but I don't remember.

A couple things you should look at: adjustable height (I actually prefer the ones that aren't hydraulic, because I tend to sit at the same height all the time); make sure there isn't a slight rise right at mid-thigh (cuts off your circulation); also, make sure it doesn't press on other pressure points; good lumbar support (everyone has their own, so adjustable is good, but if you find one you like that isn't adjustable, that's fine, too.

Go towards the end of the day, when you're already tired.

• 2 years later...

My boss bought me an aeron chair because of my back trouble.

Makes a huge difference.

He bought them from a store in northfield illinois, i don't rememeber the name, but

all the chairs had slight blemishes, and they were about $500 with all the extra goodies.

Still overpriced, but if you have to spend more than 4 hours a day in one, worth it.

Also built like a tank with lots of cast aluminum pieces. And repairable if you should

manage to tear the fabric.

I had an Aeron at a previous job and it was everything everyone says it is. You can also get the Mirra for cheaper and it is also very nice. However, some time back I went to Ikea and was making disparaging comments about some $20 chair they had there until I sat in it and it was the most comfortable chair I ever sat in. It looked like it might fall apart at any minute though so I ended up with a $40 chair that was almost as comfortable but that looked a lot nicer and didn't seem like it would break within the week. It has been several months now and I'm still impressed how great a chair it is, especially considering the price. I'm now convinced there is an inverse relationship between how comfortable a chair looks and how it performs in practice.