Wood fans: Cherry vs. Oak

postjack

I'll probably be ordering some wooden LP racks from http://www.tonyswoodshop.com/. They are half the price of TTVJ's maple LP racks. Tony offers oak or cherry (or mixed hardwood) racks. Is there any structural reason I should choose one wood over the other, or is this purely a cosmetic choice?

And if it is purely cosmetic, which wood do you think is prettier? :)

In this case it's a cosmetic choice, as both are sturdy hardwoods. I would no doubt favor the Cherry for it's rich beauty, but then again I've just never been a big Oak fan.

I'll probably be ordering some wooden LP racks from http://www.tonyswoodshop.com/. They are half the price of TTVJ's maple LP racks. Tony offers oak or cherry (or mixed hardwood) racks. Is there any structural reason I should choose one wood over the other, or is this purely a cosmetic choice?

And if it is purely cosmetic, which wood do you think is prettier? :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'll take some pics in over a month.

20080522cherryvinylrackpd1.jpg

20080522cherryvinylrackwg9.jpg

20080522cherryvinylrackrj6.jpg

20080522cherryvinylrackkv0.jpg

most of my albums are still in boxes. I really need to order four more of these. They are tough, functional, and cheap. Not the sexiest racks I've ever seen, but they aren't eye sores by any means.