Speakers are awesome.

Fungi

I was listening to Wish You Were Here the other day and I swear, Gilmour was in the wall playing and singing to me. I had to get my roommate in my seat and he said "creepy, it's like your own personal concert." This setup isn't even expensive or acoustically well set up.

And then I realized that there is no avoiding getting a speaker rig when I settle. :sadcat:

I've always had, and always will have a speaker system, but for me there are plenty of times when headphone listening is still preferable. Not SQwise mind you, but necessity wise. Speakers only topple the headphone system at higher volumes for me. Drop down to a low intimate listening level and the and the distance starts to narrow.

But yeah, there's no beating a good speaker setup when you can turn the volume up. One can't truly understand soundstaging until they've heard a great speaker rig.

you know, now that i have the shitty klipsh pro medias off their stands and sitting on corks at the right angle, i think i like them better than any headphone systems i've heard. they are dry in the midrange and lack real presence (and aren't very detailed, and a host of other flaws), but they have soundstage and general positioning.

3/18/08, the day Reks' headphone hate went to far.

Never forget. :police:

i've heard K1000s, is that close enough? besides, i doubt that even STAX will give me what my big rig gives me (when the system works, anyway).

i think a lot of the reason why the Klipschs sound ok is that they are running out of the Capitole. sounds much, much better than it did when i was running straight out of my AEX, before i found the RCA to mini adapter. i think the Capitole might be the best purchase i've ever made.

I was just kidding, the headphone setup won't have nothing on a good speaker setup.

Man I need to hear an AA player. Do you want to lend it to me in the summer :)

there shouldn't be much difference between my Mk II and the new reference (it's my understanding that the reference has the SE upgrades, but also has a cheaper switching power supply, so YMMV). go give it a listen, to see if you like the AA family sound.

Ah alright, I thought the Reference is a new model. I'll see about hauling my gear down there some day. I can just picture them saying "you want to audition our $9k CDP with headphones" :doghuh:

There was a Capitole MKII on the Gon last week for $3000, didn't last long.