NY meet impressions

jinp6301

Just copying what I wrote on the other site minus the not so witty banter

Rigs and stuff I was impressed with-

Audio Research transport - Benchmark DAC 1 - Singlepower Supra - Balanced HD 650

One of the best dynamic rigs at the meet and I spent a lot of time with this one. The overpowering bass that the 650s usually have were nicely diffused. The soundstage was the biggest I've heard from Senns. They were nice and neutral, got everything right. I cant say anything bad about them, except that they werent grados. Really kicked the Apache's butt in everyway.

Cary 300/303 - Stax 007t - Stax Omega 2

This was one of the few times that I spent a lot of time with an electostatic setup and I was pleasantly surprised about how good the O2s are. They're full and lush without being too muddy. I was talking to the owner of the setup and he said that the 007t isint that good of an amp for the O2s. So I have a question, how much better is the KGSS/Blue Hawaii better then the 007t?

Laptop - Pico - M^3 with STEPS - Woody 225s

This was a mixed setup with my M^3 and 225s with Mr Slacker's Pico. Sadly, it kicks my emu 0404's butt. Separation was noticeably better, imaging was great, soundstage was slightly better. If I had $500 and I only used my computer as a source, I would definitely be on the preorder list for the pico. and the pico by itself was pretty darn good too. It didnt have the amplifying power of the M^3 but it did a great job driving the 225s.

Meridian G08 - Woo Audio GES - HE Audio 1.3

I was pretty surprised about how this rig sounds. It was almost as good as the O2 but a lot cheaper. Nice and quick and extremely airy. The soundstage and imaging is really great on this one. But I think its touch bit on the too airy side but I think its just me and listening to grados too much :P I spent a good 30 minutes with my own music and the sound wasnt lacking in any way.

Nikongod's CD player (forgot the name) - Chinese integrated amp (forgot the name) - K1000

Man, I <3 the k1000. Almost no flaw in them except that you have to choose between bass and imaging, but still my favorite dynamic can.

Audio Alchemy v3 DAC - Millet Max - K1000

Just surprised it works and doesnt sound like complete crap. Just kinda crap. :D

ipod 5G - Sennheiser PX-100

Sounded great out of my ipod. Nice and warm and just comfortable to listen to. I'll probably be getting one of these for walking to class. :cool:

ipod 5G - Head Direct RE-2

I'm definitely a buyer for these. Nice punchy bass, great extended highs, great mids. I'm a fan!

Apogee Mini Dac - Mini^3^2 - Beyer DT 990 (600 ohm)

My favorite beyer! Most beyers sound too weird for me but these were great! Nice and airy, sounds great balanced with the mini^3^2!

and I won a Crossroad X3 that the monkey donated. :D

a big thanks to Aaron for organizing the meet and having everything go perfectly!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, nice impressions. We had the Seattle meet today so my head is still trying to assimilate all that. Suffice to say my faves of the meet 'phone-wise were the Grado HP1, DT770 pro and Koss ESP7. The HP1 kicked the RS1s butt all round the room about 20 times over and was, for me, the star of the meet.

Ok, back to NY. ;D

which is never so that counts for nothing ;)

was that too harsh?

Truth hurts.

Anyway, the 770s are a bit weird but I still liked them, the ancient Koss 'stat was the biggest surprise for me. I enjoyed those quite a bit. Not the most refined or open but very nice bite and snap. I may even be able to afford those, unlike the HP1 :o

I'm not sure how you managed enough time to get a really good listen, our meet was 'busy'.

So I have a question, how much better is the KGSS/Blue Hawaii better then the 007t?

The difference is startling to say the least. It's not in your face "OMG it's so much better" but the phones are merely left to do their own thing and are fed close to all the power they need. You do need to crank a stock KGSS/BH a bit so even more power is needed.

the HP-1 is king, but at their respective price points, I'll take the RS-1 over it anyday.

Exactly. They are better, but not that much better... and besides, I think I prefer the RS-1's personally since they are more different than the HP-1's when compared to my K340's. Gives me a larger range of music that I am happy listening to on my rig. ;)

But that would be CHEATING! There is no cheating to attain the limit of audio goodness.
Alright, then don't, but at least hear it off a Pass Labs before you blame the K1000 for its lack of bass -- it sounds fine (not basshead fine, but perfectly adequate for subless listening) when driven with adequate amplification.

was that balanced or single ended ?

Single, and it sounded 'right'

the HP-1 is king, but at their respective price points, I'll take the RS-1 over it anyday

I had high expectations of the RS-1 after reading so much about how great it was but it sounded.. meh. It's the only Grado I've heard that I'd actually want to own. More comfy too.

I also found that I still don't like Senn 6xx no matter what they're connected to. Reading so many posts about how recabled and attached to great equipment they're transformed to another plane and scale like no other..... no. They still sound like Senns and I still think they sound boomy, muffled and dull.

Finally got to listen to the K701 and they also sounded dull and uninspired. On top of that they are not very comfortable. That ugly-ass headband sucks. I'd take my K1k any day of the week.

My 'stats also kick most other phones I heard there to the curb. The ATH 3000 leatherhead was pretty nice too but not $3000 nice. Oddly, this time around when I listened to the ATH 5000 they sounded a little honky in the mikds. I think there was way too much contrast from the previous phone I was listening to. ???

Anyway, more later. Off to brunch with wifey.

Meets are fun.

I'd take an HP-2 over an RS-1 as well. HP-1000 series are something else...

I wouldn't. The HP-2 is great on a technical level, but the presentation leaves me wanting. It's like a flawless supermodel who won't get intimate or sleep with you. The RS-1 is like a cute GF who fucks you silly every night till you can't pee straight. She may not be perfect, but she's a hell of a lot more satisfying.