Where to?

Abbadon

Long time lurker, first time poster...

I've managed to assemble the following rig, however, since I haven't been able to attend any meets, my purchases have been based solely on other's opinions. :-[

My current setup is

MF a3.24 -> Opera analog -> RS-1s/HD650s

What would be the most cost effective way to upgrade? I'm happy with my current cans, so an amp upgrade is probably in order. Would a se b22 be a significant step up?

Long time lurker, first time poster...

I've managed to assemble the following rig, however, since I haven't been able to attend any meets, my purchases have been based solely on other's opinions. :-[

My current setup is

MF a3.24 -> Opera analog -> RS-1s/HD650s

What would be the most cost effective way to upgrade? I'm happy with my current cans, so an amp upgrade is probably in order. Would a se b22 be a significant step up?

Judging only based on reputation, I'd think a B22 would be a huge step up.

Judging only based on reputation, I'd think a B22 would be a huge step up.

........excepy you probably couldn't afford such a big upgrade so I would recommend you sell me your RS1's >:D then upgrade to a Zana Deuex (which I have heard) or a B22 (which I haven't but other's have but do your own search).

Wow. Didn't expect so many responses in such a short time. I guess everyone's hard at work... :mikey2:

I'm using Blue Jeans RCAs/coax (not sure which model). I have a DIY balanced cardas cable w/se adapter that came with my 650's, but don't try to tempt me into balanced, I'm far too poor.

Is there anyone who has heard the opera and could compare it to a b22, balanced or otherwise?

Wow. Didn't expect so many responses in such a short time. I guess everyone's hard at work... :mikey2:

I'm using Blue Jeans RCAs/coax (not sure which model). I have a DIY balanced cardas cable w/se adapter that came with my 650's, but don't try to tempt me into balanced, I'm far too poor.

Is there anyone who has heard the opera and could compare it to a b22, balanced or otherwise?

I'm not aware of anyone I know that has had an opera. The Beta 22 is a great amp tho.

I'm not aware of anyone I know that has had an opera. The Beta 22 is a great amp tho.

Fungi had an opera for awhile. I listened to it at one of our mini-meets with my K340s. I didn't like the SQ very much and didn't feel that the opera did a good job of driving K340. The sound was thin and one dimensional. It didn't have the height and depth in the soundstage that I get with my amp. Of course, the K340 is a very hard headphone to drive. Anyway, Hiroshi can comment more on the opera than I can.

Consider the CK2III. Far more musical than I had expected, mildly challenging build and good cavalli design. Parts are fairly easy to source, and I understand that swapping parts doesn't make a huge difference so you can stick with the standard bom. What's not to like about that!

I've heard the Opera on many occassions: it's a nice amp, smooth. Not the best soundstage and PRaT. Frankly, I even found it a bit boring although the owner, JaZZ on headfi, really likes it. I preferred a pair of balanced HD 650 directly from the XLR out of an Apogee Dac over the Apogee connected to the Opera using the Apogee's line out.

Since I haven't kept up with the latest amps, I wouldn't know what would be better.

Okay, so if I wanted to DIY an amp, would the CK2III/M3 be doable for someone with no prior soldering experience?

Also, how does the CK2III perform with grados? I've read about its synergy with senns, but there isn't much about grados.....

Okay, so if I wanted to DIY an amp, would the CK2III/M3 be doable for someone with no prior soldering experience?

Also, how does the CK2III perform with grados? I've read about its synergy with senns, but there isn't much about grados.....

It seems logical that you'd want to at least start out with learning to solder and trying maybe a cmoy for practice before spending money on parts only to muck them up.

I've heard the Opera on many occassions: it's a nice amp, smooth. Not the best soundstage and PRaT. Frankly, I even found it a bit boring although the owner, JaZZ on headfi, really likes it. I preferred a pair of balanced HD 650 directly from the XLR out of an Apogee Dac over the Apogee connected to the Opera using the Apogee's line out.

Since I haven't kept up with the latest amps, I wouldn't know what would be better.

Thanks for your impressions on the Opera. I have read that many do like the B22 and agree with Grawk that it would be a huge upgrade :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't speak to the CKIII, but I would not recommend an M3 as a first build. As boomana suggested, start with some cmoy to learn how to solder, and work your way up. The M3 is often about the 3rd progression. Stuffing the board is quite easy, but you must know how t solder. The real challenge comes when you first power it on and it doesn't work. Trouble shooting these builds can be tricky if you have no experience.

• 1 month later...