HF-1 w/ Flats

The Monkey

• 2 weeks later...

HF-1 w/ flats? Bad. Boomy, muddled and congested.

RS-1 w/ flats? Bad. See above. Yuck. Just... Yuck.

RS-1 w/ bowls?

Early, pre-serial number/brown headband - Amazing. Everything I like about the HF-1 w/ bowls, but with better high-end detail with no harshness, better controlled bass that extends lower.

Buttoned/serial numbered? Kill me now. Seriously. Unlistenable. Horrible. Horrible.

New buttonless ones - A pleasant surprise. I really enjoyed Haj's pair at the mini-meet.

HF-1 w/ flats? Bad. Boomy, muddled and congested.

RS-1 w/ flats? Bad. See above. Yuck. Just... Yuck.

RS-1 w/ bowls?

Early, pre-serial number/brown headband - Amazing. Everything I like about the HF-1 w/ bowls, but with better high-end detail with no harshness, better controlled bass that extends lower.

Buttoned/serial numbered? Kill me now. Seriously. Unlistenable. Horrible. Horrible.

New buttonless ones - A pleasant surprise. I really enjoyed Haj's pair at the mini-meet.

Brown leather RS-1s with flats = bad? WTF, dude, you are so wrong. I will try them with bowls tonight but you are so wrong... :stick:

Brown leather RS-1s with flats = bad? WTF, dude, you are so wrong. I will try them with bowls tonight but you are so wrong... :stick:

early RS1s are flats all they way, that is the way they were designed. Having owned brown leathers and black no serial # they are much better with flats. The bowls sit in the drawer waiting for the day I get ps1s again.

nikongod's with (admittedly squished) bowls was absolutely amazing out of everything from Nate's balanced mini^3, my Millett and his Toaster Supra. It improved on everything I love about my woodied HF-1 without losing any of the magic. I listened to them with flats and the magic was gone. Completely. To each their own, I guess.

Old bowls that have lost some of their shape. I've washed mine a few times, but only because my cat likes to bite them. But considering they're the original bowls that came with my HF-1s, they've definitely lost some of the springiness. Some go to great lengths squishing new bowls... Multiple washings, putting them under heavy books, and stuff like that.