Markl Mods

Guest sacd lover

Until you started posting in this thread, despite some of the posts, there was nothing here that made me think any less of you. But I have to say that you've managed to fix that. Well done.
LOL, once you are the subject of such a thread, we'll talk.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only problematic point I see is that if it's all benevolent and all that, why the promoted mod is supposed to be updated and improved compared to the publicly available version. Certainly, Jan Meier did the same by posting the schematics of the HA-1 online and then went on to sell iterations of it. But the difference is that he didn't start the whole thing by praising the HA-1 beyond good and evil. Why not divulge the improvements to the public. Yes, it's not necessary, it's not wrong, just feels a bit akward.

The only problematic point I see is that if it's all benevolent and all that, why the promoted mod is supposed to be updated and improved compared to the publicly available version.
Here's the rub. Yes, since I've gotten into business, the mod has progressed beyond what is posted. If you have a complaint here, really it's like resenting General Mills for keeping its full Cheerios formula secret from you (despite having posted instructions for you to make a generic version). Sorry, I have no sympathy for you here. Yeah; I have a "secret sauce" that improved on what I've posted publicly. Sue me, or send me your phone to be mod-ed. ;) I have more "tricks" coming I expect I can't talk about that might be even better...

Based on all the feedback here, I still feel very good and invite anyone curious about improving the D5000 to contact me via Head-fi. It looks like, despite all this, the basic premises of my mod are still valid:

1. The stock D5000 is flawed (it is, just listen to it).

2. The markl modified D5000 is an improvement over stock; don't take my word for it, listen to customers.

3. I may not approve of everything markl has ever posted, but it appears his mods for the D5000 work (based on feedback from folks that got the mod free, did it themselves and/or paid markl to do it for them).

I'm confident whatever anyone's thoughts of me here, the fundamentals of the mod are sound, and worth paying for, if you feel you can't do it yourself.

Mark

Again, this is what makes me so sad about this site; sincerity and honesty is automatically interpreted as lies and grabage. That's sad for this site, and says more about the interpreter than it does about me. :-[

I think the line in question is:

"I get that I go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the headphone world. To some extent, by virtue of the amount of involvement I've had in the community, and the amount of influence I can sometimes wield"

Now while you may conveying that with the utmost sincerity and honesty, it does kind of come across as self righteous, with a touch of arrogance thrown in as well. While some may believe what you said about yourself, I just would not ever think someone would ever actually say something like that out loud about themself especially on an online forum. Now couple that with what you were saying about who would be able to get the mods done if it weren't for you, there is a mixed message in there.

I am what I am, and my situation is what it is. If this is letting folks in and behind the curtain of Head-Fi, I guess that's OK.

Want some truth? Want some reality? Want to know how it works, and how the reviews you see on Head-Fi *really* work?

I have some real insight here, I'm an "insider" and I can share with you if you want.

Want to know the secrets? I'll tell you.

Makers of audio products are VERY VERY VERY interested in Head-Fi. Head-Fi is one of THE primary and most IMPORTANT audio sites on the web.

Why? Because most of its audience is made up of younger people who have not yet made their minds up about any brand of gear. Convince them on Head-Fi and you have a customer for life.

Don't be fooled, EVERY manufacturer of gear knows about us and is painfully aware of us and what goes on on Head-Fi. We MATTER.

We are taste-makers and gate-keepers. The majority of folks coming into "hi-fi" for now and forveer are going to come in via headphones. We are the gate-keepers to "high-end" audio. Our attitudes and opinions matter, and matter more than they do on any other audio-related website (did you know Head-Fi is THE #1 audio website?).

Those are REALITIES. I know it seems hard to believe it, but if you are a long-term contributor in the headphone community with a well-known name, you will be SHOCKED to know that manufacturers of gear you've never even heard of know who you are, and know that your opinion may be the gateway to their success.

So, the point is, it's not that I'm some demi-god of self-importance. I've been around and I have access to parts of this world you probably haven't seen. You may be amazed at how much weight you're half-hearted, tossed-off comment about some DAC has if you're on Head-Fi.

You may just be determining the fate of some small audio business....

Hold on are you talking about yourself in the 3rd person? I thought only NFL wide receivers and NBA all star shooting guards did that.

"Yeah recstar24 is way awesome yeah I know because when you know the recstar24 you rock like the recstar24 ya dig? He be writing reviews and the recstar's ear is golden ya hurd. Yeah I get that I go waaaaaaaaaaaay back like old school headfi, but don't worry I get that that truly I am just trying to help out all you lesser folk who can't rock like the recstar can I mean if its not for the recstar how else you gonna get the goods?"

That is not a purposeful dig at you markl but more a humurous attempt (poorly of course) to show you how others perceive you based on what your write/say and how you convey yourself (more so the fact of what you write about yourself).

for years i've thought you were an asshole, and you've done nothing here but reinforce that idea. just out of curiosity, how long did you study acoustics before you developed your mod? did you set up double blind tests? would be real, real easy.
Oh, ouch, you got me, it's over I'm dead. ::) My "study" consists of listening to dozens of sources, dozens of amps, dozens of headphones, doszens of cables, etc. Take a listen to a markl mod-ed D5000 before you claim to have an opinion of it. You just might be surprised. ;) Or, take a listen to all the satisfied customers as well as folks who have done the mod for free. There's been no one who claims the fully mod-ed phone is "worse" than stock.

Gotta run, take care!

When I have more time, I will let you guys know my opinion of MarkL D5000. Thanks to Nikongod, I have been listening to them for the last two days.

Purk

Is this one I modified personally, or someone else's attempt? Either way, knowing your biases toward the R10 (that I once shared), I look forward to your thoughts, purk.

a double blind test between modded and unmodded denons would have been a 20 minute exercise, and would have yielded actual useful information. in my opinion, the fact that you didn't bother with it puts your headphones in the yawn category (don't feel bad, they were in the yawn category stock, too). i also doubt i'd be surprised, because i am a speaker user at home.
Ugh, more double-blind BS. ::) I have a current customer that purchased both the Full Mod and the 2/3rds mod headphones at the same time. I am hoping he is willing to report his findings on these. Probably won't appear here, but on Head-Fi.

So, the point is, it's not that I'm some demi-god of self-importance. I've been around and I have access to parts of this world you probably haven't seen. You may be amazed at how much weight you're half-hearted, tossed-off comment about some DAC has if you're on Head-Fi.

Hey! Look! A dickwaving contest! I'm more important than you guys!

I am what I am, and my situation is what it is. If this is letting folks in and behind the curtain of Head-Fi, I guess that's OK.

Want some truth? Want some reality? Want to know how it works, and how the reviews you see on Head-Fi *really* work?

I have some real insight here, I'm an "insider" and I can share with you if you want.

Want to know the secrets? I'll tell you.

Makers of audio products are VERY VERY VERY interested in Head-Fi. Head-Fi is one of THE primary and most IMPORTANT audio sites on the web.

Why? Because most of its audience is made up of younger people who have not yet made their minds up about any brand of gear. Convince them on Head-Fi and you have a customer for life.

Don't be fooled, EVERY manufacturer of gear knows about us and is painfully aware of us and what goes on on Head-Fi. We MATTER.

We are taste-makers and gate-keepers. The majority of folks coming into "hi-fi" for now and forveer are going to come in via headphones. We are the gate-keepers to "high-end" audio. Our attitudes and opinions matter, and matter more than they do on any other audio-related website (did you know Head-Fi is THE #1 audio website?).

Those are REALITIES. I know it seems hard to believe it, but if you are a long-term contributor in the headphone community with a well-known name, you will be SHOCKED to know that manufacturers of gear you've never even heard of know who you are, and know that your opinion may be the gateway to their success.

Any fuckin' slob with a high post count and some rudimentary writing skills has most likely been contacted by manufacturers for one reason or another. I've been contacted several times. I've also been contacted and asked to write reviews for Stereo Mojo. Am I some kind of demi-god? Fuck no! I'm a guy on a fuckin' website that may have some simple insights to pass along. The day I start thinking that I'm more important than I really am, is the day I start turning into an asshole who runs down others because they're not as important as he is. When the truth is that most of us here don't care to ride that train, even though we've been sent the free tickets.

You truly don't see what an asshole you are do you? You would have been well served to make a few quick points and leave, but you had to blow your fuckin' horn loud and proud! Well you've very much succeeded in turning me, an indifferent member into a someone who grimaces at the sight of the name markl !

When I have more time, I will let you guys know my opinion of MarkL D5000. Thanks to Nikongod, I have been listening to them for the last two days.

Purk

At this point I'm not sure anyone gives a fuck. No ill will meant towards you purk, it's just that this guy is hard to stomach.

i've also been contacted. i've written a couple reviews, but mostly i just say thanks but no thanks. i barely have time to listen to music, what with my busy masturbation schedule, as it is.

Writing a lube review could offset some of the costs of your other hobby though.

" I like Velvet Glide because it feels real good on my hoo hoo, and it doesn't stain my sheets"...

Any fuckin' slob with a high post count and some rudimentary writing skills has most likely been contacted by manufacturers for one reason or another.

Damn right. I'm a semi-active member of the audiophile group in our area, many of us are longtime members of one audio related board or another, a surprising number of us get beta testing & review samples from various manufacturers. It's not a big deal, and it's certainly nothing to brag about.

Any fuckin' slob with a high post count and some rudimentary writing skills has most likely been contacted by manufacturers for one reason or another. I've been contacted several times. I've also been contacted and asked to write reviews for Stereo Mojo. Am I some kind of demi-god? Fuck no! I'm a guy on a fuckin' website that may have some simple insights to pass along. The day I start thinking that I'm more important than I really am, is the day I start turning into an asshole who runs down others because they're not as important as he is. When the truth is that most of us here don't care to ride that train, even though we've been sent the free tickets.
A "few times". How 'bout "all the time"? I don't and haven't claimed to be anything but what I am (read my replies before you fly off the handle). You seem to be bitter or angry for reasons who knows? You missed the main point which is, there are folks (apparently including you) who feel it necessary on this site to dis me for whatever reason. YOU are chiefly the one pumping me up beyond my importance. ;) I didn't ask for it; I'm just observing fact that folks like you keep responding to me here as you have just done.

My self-esteem just reached rock bottom because I've never been contacted by a manufacturer for a review.

Dear saint.panda I'm writing to inquire if you'd be interested in reviewing the Flying Peppermill. It would be of the utmost importance for our growing little company to obtain a review from a member of your demi-god status. Please don't let us down!

Sincerely S

Whether people here like it or not, I am contacted very often to review gear. Maybe you get twice as many offers, maybe not. That doesn't take away from the number of manufacturers who seek me out.

It's not bragging; it's just a fact. If that offends you, I can't help that.