Markl Mods

Guest sacd lover

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back on topic -- are the markl -modded D5000's going to be at CanJam? Will everyone attending please give them a listen and report back? Honestly?

Insert Quote

I put in a request to hear post a few days ago. So far, no responses. I don't know if anyone is bringing them. Is nikongod coming or not? I don't remember. Didn't he do the mod or version of it?

I have Nikongod's Denon with me. I plan to give you an impression later on this week. I will turn it over to Mulveling within a few. So you should have impression from both me, mike, and probably even Tom Hankins.

I put in a request to hear post a few days ago. So far, no responses. I don't know if anyone is bringing them. Is nikongod coming or not? I don't remember. Didn't he do the mod or version of it?

NG did a half mod or something to that extent from what he told me in the NYC meet.

I have Nikongod's Denon with me. I plan to give you an impression later on this week. I will turn it over to Mulveling within a few. So you should have impression from both me, mike, and probably even Tom Hankins.

All good folks to be hearing from. I'm interested in what you'll have to say.

I got my D5000's modded today. Friend of mine have the stock, so will be easy for me to compare.

I heard the stock few day ago .. but for sure the mod are better over the stock.

It's not transform the headphone in something else ... it's still denon D5000 but with fine tuning.

I made a short comparaison (audition 4 track ... 45 sec each) between stock and the modded today at the lunch break at work.

It's not night and day difference for sure (at least on a RSA Predator).

- Less highs and bass energy for sure. Like listen speaker at 1 foot and after go at 3 foots.

- More space between ears and the driver itself bring a more relaxing listening and illusion to more soundstage 3D.

- Vocals are more laid back and coloration is on the bottom mid compared to the upper mid with the stock. On the lower mid, it's create an illusion of warmer and possibly more weight (a little bit).

I have to complete my burn-in before do more listening .. the next time I will use my gear .. not this toy ... pardon if you have a RSA Predator ... I don't like that very much. 8-)

What I can say, I like the way Markl have balanced the D5000 vs the stock version.

I don't know if it's enough to stop me to love my hd650 ... will see in a couple of weeks what happend.

I just talked to Nikongod and he has no problem for his D5000 to make an appearance at Canjam. So who should I ship this headphone to? Vickie or Mike? Let me know. I can ship the Denon out on Tuesday. I will need the D5000 when you Canjam is over.

Purk

one vote for Markl mod d5000. I have had the phone for 3 weeks now. It is really amazing phone
We need more detail. This isn't a "for" or "against" proposition -- we just want to know if it really is anywhere near as radical a change as going from the D5000 to the R10. Have you ever heard the R10? How much detail does the modded D5000 yield? Is it better than psychoactive drugs?

Oh, and welcome to headcase, sorry about your mama.

one vote for Markl mod d5000. I have had the phone for 3 weeks now. It is really amazing phone

It is a nice headphone but not amazing. The tonality of the pair I've heard was a bit too cold and the midrange is definitely bright and recessed at the expense of trying to achieve larger soundstage. The detail in recordings is better, but still far from Qualia and R10 level. The bass is more controlled and has a nice definition, but the bass quantity is lacking in comparison to all of myheadphones, including my R10s.

I believe MarkL try to modify the sound of his Denon after the sound of the bass light R10. In a way, he has turned the D5000 from a fairly upfront presentation headphone with over slightly emphassis bass with good bass impact and vocals (not very controlled, however) into the above. However, that is an expense of midrange, and warmth of the original headphone. I always found my R10 to be extremely resolving with amazing midrange, warmth, beautiful tones, and plenty of details....so I would rate the Nikongod D5000 to be an improvement over the stock D5000, but certainly a long way from matching the sound of the R10s in my system.

waddragon, welcome to Head-Case.

I'm also curious about the markl D5000. I've heard a stock D5000 and didn't think it sounded very good, not better than various headphones such as HD650, RS-1, W5000, K701, etc. Based on what I heard, it would take a large transformation to make the D5000 competitive with an R10.

I've only heard the D5000 unmodded one time and that was over a year ago. I wasn't thrilled with them but they were okay. I've been listening to Nikongod's pair for the past couple of days and I like them. They aren't R10 killers, not even close but I do like them. I've had them on for more than a couple of hours at a time without the need to yank them off due to either being bright or bass heavy.