The Orthodynamic Thread

spritzer

Me hating ortho's couldn't be further from the truth. Hell I started the ortho thread here... :palm: The HE-5 is far from acceptable so let's not count that but Colon's TP's were just awesome from Scott's Dynamight. Not perfect but like so many truly great headphones, more good then bad and the "bad" just gives them character and doesn't detract from the overall experience. That can't be said about HE-5's...

The LCD-2's need work and if they won't fix potential issues such as with the height system and the shitty cable (how hard is it to get 4 strand braided 24awg wire and cover it in multi filament) it could blow up in their face and I for one don't want that. The bass also needed taming but some people do like a little bit of bloat...

Hi Spritzer - What is it about the HE-5 that you don't like, other than they are brighter than the O2, the mids are not as full and rich, the soundstage is a little nebulous or disconnected, and they are very demanding on amplification like an O2?

I think the HE-5 LE improved on the originals in all of those areas except demand for power; and although they are still not better than my O2 I'd take them over just about any under $700 phone I have owned or tried (maybe including the SR-404LE but can't say without comparing them).

My take is that the treble on the HE-5 is quite painfully bright/sibilant coupled with the fact that the midrange to upper midrange are tilted forward, this creates a very fatiguing listening experience. Based on past discussions here, it seems that there is a variance of the sound from pair to pair so yours may not have this terrible deficiency.

Still I remembered that some folks from the other site thought that the HE-5 was better than the HD800 which is quite a joke honestly. I compared them side-by-side and the HD800 pretty much curbstomped the HE-5.

I like both stats and orthos. Somehow new ortho headphones are scary to me, as I am used thinking about orthodynamics as bang for the buck headphones. Like finding YH-100 for $50 and modding it to sound better than my DT880 and on par with my SR-Lambda was very cool, spending $1000 on LCD-2 and getting $1000 worth of headphones does not see so cool :o

I am trying to get used to the idea that I might buy one in the future, but it's hard. Yeah I am a Jewish cheapskate, here I said it, I love a good deal :D

My take is that the treble on the HE-5 is quite painfully bright/sibilant coupled with the fact that the midrange to upper midrange are tilted forward, this creates a very fatiguing listening experience. Based on past discussions here, it seems that there is a variance of the sound from pair to pair so yours may not have this terrible deficiency.

Still I remembered that some folks from the other site thought that the HE-5 was better than the HD800 which is quite a joke honestly. I compared them side-by-side and the HD800 pretty much curbstomped the HE-5.

They are sibilant off most amps Ive tried but off Colin's amp, it did not sound sibilant at all. I still think its an amp matching problem.

I have no idea why ppl would think there is any conflict outside of a few nutters. I like stats and orthos just fine.

Indeed. I for one would love a serious contender to the SR-007 just to make Stax bring out something new to crush it. Well that and I want them to increase the bias since it's limiting new amp designs... ;D

Whats the issue with the stock cable? Seems to be a decent starquad copper cable?

The cable it self is fine but in terms of ergonomics it is terrible. Too stiff, heavy and it extends far enough from the housings to drag across the top of my shoulders if I moved my head. Something like what Smeggy is using would be much better.

Birgir, I noticed that bit of bass bloat as well which is rampant among stock vintage orthos (and even much more severe, in some cases). Of course it could be fixed by damping which would also bring up the treble a little but I'm wondering if it might have also been because of the Cavalli amp it was hooked up to.

Damping could fix it but also altering the earpads and making sure the fit is better i.e. a better seal around the ears.

I'm already forgetting what amp I tried them with but it was all of the Woo amps (I had pretty much free reign there for an hour and a half) and I think Scott's Dynamight. Damn I want to build one of those... :palm:

Hi Spritzer - What is it about the HE-5 that you don't like, other than they are brighter than the O2, the mids are not as full and rich, the soundstage is a little nebulous or disconnected, and they are very demanding on amplification like an O2?

I think the HE-5 LE improved on the originals in all of those areas except demand for power; and although they are still not better than my O2 I'd take them over just about any under $700 phone I have owned or tried (maybe including the SR-404LE but can't say without comparing them).

Too forward, edgy and tiresome too listen to basically.

I had the HE5 and I loved it out of the Graham Slee Solo SRGII and of the Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 modded by PinkFloyd. I did not like the sound out of the EF5 amp as much. Perhaps since I am older (52 YO) and I listen at low volumes it compensates for the high frequencies so many have objections too.

Damn I want to build one of those... :palm:

Ditto. Though my power bill is bad enough already as it is...must encourage someone appropriate to do a board run one of these days. It's one design that I can get perfectly suited, if expensive, cases for locally, along with a compact drill press.

Too forward, edgy and tiresome too listen to basically.

I thought they had potential, if they fixed all the issues with them. I guess Audeze got there first. I'm sure though if I don't like the overall tonal balance, that one or another orthohead will have suitable damping guidance to rectify the situation to my tastes. ;)

Listening to the HE-6's now with Dream Theater "6:00". Holy shit the bass is fast. I'm really loving Orthos. -Ed

would love to hear more about them once you have a good handle on their abilities.

I'm sure though if I don't like the overall tonal balance, that one or another orthohead will have suitable damping guidance to rectify the situation to my tastes. ;)

we are here to serve :rolleyes: ..dB

I have had nearly a week of quality listening with the HE-6. I've been listening almost exclusively to standard stereo music and SVS Realiser movies with my JH13's for a long time. Nothing really came close to the thunderous bass and lightning speed. I had the HD800's for two weeks, and didn't keep them, they didn't tempt me back into full sized cans.

But how that I've had Thunder in my Pants, I'm totally sold on Orthos. I can't believe how well balanced they are. They have the detail, soundstage, speed, and frequency response all locked down.

The only odd thing is that they don't behave well with some very high frequency sounds, especially with lossy compressed music. A couple of MP3's I tried (and a few FLACs even, which could be the recording, or who knows), get weirdly etchy transient highs, especially with cymbal strikes. Not sure yet if it's revealing a flaw in the music or it's the HE-6's or something else.

But the biggest selling point with the HE-6's is that they work amazingly well with my Smyth SVS Realiser. So much so, that as much as I like using my JH13's with the Realiser, at times they are a little too smooth and the HE-6's can often make the JH13's sound laid back in comparison. LOL, imagine that.

Of course, the JH-3A could likely change all of that.

-Ed

Thanks, my parents are visiting (they have to see their granddaughter). I've been playing with my Dad's D700. :)

I really like the leather covering on the ear cups. At first glance they seem fake because they are stretched so tightly and perfectly, but then you feel and smell them, realize it's real leather. Mmmm. I sure do enjoy non-vegetarian headphones. >:)