What does Team Minimal mean?

boomana

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vickie I just do not see how a 10k dynamic rig exemplar>extreme plat>R10 and exemplar>Blue Hawaii SE> Omegas and a portable creme de la creme rig of a pico>UE11s qualifies. I fell off the rails early and often in my quest to not purchase gear in 2008 and shamefully so. So while my failure in that area is humorous I in no way think that I have lived up to that pledge.

To me team minimal is a middle of the road set of headphones and amp like a pair of 225s or stock senn 650s with a decent but not esoteric amp. I mean your amp has 2 power cords for christ sake :kitty:. I am none too sure that one could be considered a card carrying member for team min if all your rigs are equal to or greater than the cost of a new entry level car. So does Gary qualify for team min with the HE90 rig?

Embrace team Out of Control and team Sonic Bliss.

Vickie I just do not see how a 10k dynamic rig exemplar>extreme plat>R10 and exemplar>Blue Hawaii SE> Omegas and a portable creme de la creme rig of a pico>UE11s qualifies. I fell off the rails early and often in my quest to not purchase gear in 2008 and shamefully so. So while my failure in that area is humorous I in no way think that I have lived up to that pledge.

To me team minimal is a middle of the road set of headphones and amp like a pair of 225s or stock senn 650s with a decent but not esoteric amp. I mean your amp has 2 power cords for christ sake :kitty:. I am none too sure that one could be considered a card carrying member for team min if all your rigs are equal to or greater than the cost of a new entry level car. So does Gary qualify for team min with the HE90 rig?

Embrace team Out of Control and team Sonic Bliss.

Well, I suppose that's the more realistic route. I was just feeling so light and free after selling that stuff. It made sense at the time. Joining Team Out of Control and Sonic Bliss. Next year it's Team New Car!

Well, I suppose that's the more realistic route. I was just feeling so light and free after selling that stuff. It made sense at the time. Joining Team Out of Control and Sonic Bliss. Next year it's Team New Car!

If I keep my pace up it will be team food stamps and govt cheese that I'll be joining. Although the sound of the iphone with the shure 420s could satisfy me. Anyone know if the iphone will properly power the UE11s ;D WHile I keep trying to talk myself off the ledge Vickie keeps enticing me back on the ledge and urges me to jump :prettyprincess:

If I keep my pace up it will be team food stamps and govt cheese that I'll be joining. Although the sound of the iphone with the shure 420s could satisfy me. Anyone know if the iphone will properly power the UE11s ;D WHile I keep trying to talk myself off the ledge Vickie keeps enticing me back on the ledge and urges me to jump :prettyprincess:

C'mon, baby. It's so pretty on this ledge. You know you want them, and UE11s don't need no damn amp. What color are you getting? I'm letting Edwood decide for me, but I'm thinking something along the lines of translucent baby blue or aqua. What art are you choosing? I'm going fem floral. 20% off, 20% off, 20% off >:D

C'mon, baby. It's so pretty on this ledge. You know you want them, and UE11s don't need no damn amp. What color are you getting? I'm letting Edwood decide for me, but I'm thinking something along the lines of translucent baby blue or aqua. What art are you choosing? I'm going fem floral. 20% off, 20% off, 20% off >:D

Ah, the Siren's Song.

wait a minute TRose said you need an imod, LOD and amp to enjoy these so... :mikey2: and I was going to go with one red and one blue, still don't know if I can justify it for strictly Iphone use on planes and days in Golden Gate park.

wait a minute TRose said you need an imod, LOD and amp to enjoy these so... :mikey2: and I was going to go with one red and one blue, still don't know if I can justify it for strictly Iphone use on planes and days in Golden Gate park.

I'm selling my imod. You can buy it. Red and blue is very nice. Have you checked out the gallery page yet?

http://www.ultimateears.com/_ultimateears/community/earartgallery/index.php

i've always been on the team. even back in my heavy duty headphone days, i don't think i ever owned more than 5 pairs of good phones (woodied 325, HD600, HD650, HP-2, ER-4P) at once, and i've rarely used portable amps.

right now i'm super minimal. Source->Amp->Speakers and iPod->Headphones. i like it (though i do still want a new preamp).

I think five headphones disqualified you back then. I think you qualify now.

Ooooh, John, think about this: when have I ever steered you wrong? I think never. I even told you your transporter sucked when you were all in love with it. Yep, it's never. Think about it. :)

I just say no to the imod portable amp lod bag of tricks

but not not to UE11s. Hmmmmm.

i don't know, 5 at the excess point (lasted about 2 weeks before i sold the ones i wasn't using) doesn't seem like much in this hobby ;)

Well, that was my original point, but that didn't seem to go over here.

In the analogy of shoes, the two serve different functions (ie it would be unreasonable to suggest only having one pair of winter boots if you live somewhere which has four seasons). With a dynamic and electrostatic system their purpose is still to make music.
Thank you for saying what I wish I had said.
Can you have a work rig and a home rig and still be included in Team Minimal?

Tough question. My gut reaction is no.

Yeah, was in the midst of rethinking that part, and I have to agree. Home rig only.
Three...is right out.
Nice! python.gif
I remember threads about why can't you get the blue and red ones not that long ago.
Once people realized they could get them in black, they stopped caring about other colours.

Ooooh, John, think about this: when have I ever steered you wrong? I think never. I even told you your transporter sucked when you were all in love with it. Yep, it's never. Think about it. :)

I recognize those tactics

Thank you for saying what I wish I had said.Yeah, was in the midst of rethinking that part, and I have to agree. Home rig only.Nice! python.gifOnce people realized they could get them in black, they stopped caring about other colours.

I knew you'd get that ;)

Okay, how about Team Relatively Minimal. Team Truly Minimal is absolute -- pretty much no-one on this board qualifies. So what's the point of discussing Team Truly Minimal? There is none. So, let's put a term to what boomana is trying to put her thoughts to, basically, someone with only one high-end rig, and maybe one portable one.

Thoughts?

People in Team Truly Minimal would describe us as "Team Insane" and "Team Went Broke First". (That'd be me -- I'd have every rig under the sun if I could afford it, I think that's pretty much the only thing that differentiates me from someone who has [or has had] one of everything [i'm looking at you spritzer, Fitz, elephas, Tom, Earl, tyrion, et al].)

I guess each person has a different definition of minimal

But in my eyes minimalist is the least possible components

That would be either DAP > headphones, or CD player with headphone out > headphones.

In the case of stats, minimal would need to include the energizer as I don't know of any CD players/DAPs with appropriate outputs.

If we're going to define relatively minimal, well then that's a whole new can of works as what is the line where minimal is no longer minimal?

Also I don't think cost should have a part in it, more the number of components/complexity.