New O2 + KGSS Rig

tkam

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might need a pity quad too when i have some phones/amp ;p

I didnt realize you had hopped on the 3D21A bandwagon. Helluva tube isn't it ? :)

Sure thing. I have at least 5 or 6 quads of UK milspec tubes here though I've never used them. They, amongst others, are for the BH I'm building.

I kinda wish I had some idea of how it sounds versus a ES-1... but the finality of a BHSE (No upgrades) is pretty appealing to me.

I guess the only question left in my mind is if the 3D21A w/ adapters would work in this beast; p

You can't lose here. Worst case is that it doesn't float your boat. If so, you can always sell it, probably for more than you paid. Risk free, except if you like it that is! >:D

So it sounds like you can plug those badboys in without an adapter? That sounds ideal. Maybe all we need to do is get a quad towards justin then.

NO... NO... NO...

Not the least of the problems is the plate cap on the top of the tube. You will

have to use adapters. Whether this tube is capable of being driven in grounded

grid operation is unknown as is the biasing... And any possible compensation.

Ha I could buy those adapters and tubes back from you though the shipping would be pretty insane. He apparently has an ES-1 (Purk's old one) just sitting around waiting for a buyer. Tempted to buy both (Almost all my cash period) and shoot them off against each other if its still available when the BHSE comes out.

Mehhhhh.

Next question so.. HE90s were pretty scary to buy used since they are known to be insanely delicate. A dropped HE90 = a worthless one or so I've heard (Not that anyone should be dropping 3-4 figure headphones either but...)... are O2s as susceptible to drops destroying them completely as their fellow electrostatics are?

Mehhhhh.

Next question so.. HE90s were pretty scary to buy used since they are known to be insanely delicate. A dropped HE90 = a worthless one or so I've heard (Not that anyone should be dropping 3-4 figure headphones either but...)... are O2s as susceptible to drops destroying them completely as their fellow electrostatics are?

The He90 is just badly designed and so is the SR-Ω for that matter but the SR-007 is much, much stronger. The drivers are bolted to a plastic subassembly which is then mounted to the aluminum frame. The only real flaw with the Mk1 design is the ineffective strain relief on the cable which can cause the cable to break but it's easy enough to replace (100$ for a new cable if I'm not mistaken) and if you have have a SR-007BL then the new Mk2 cable should fit where this isn't a problem.

Even though I baby all of my gear, my old SR-007 did fall to the floor once ,when I turned my head to fast and the headphones stayed in place, but there wasn't a mark on them and they still sound excellent.

I'll let spritzer go into the technicalities, but I think PCB stators was one of the reasons they hold up.

The PCB stators are indeed what makes them so good yet strong along with the attention to detail i.e. how to get rid of all the resonances inside the drivers. Both the He90 and the SR-Ω get "confused" at high volume as the drivers can't get rid of all the energy (a major issue with all planar design) while with the SR-007 the energy is transferred out of the drivers, through the housing and into the head. This also makes the stators very inert and stable so they can sustain shocks and bumps much better then other designs.

Hey Todd, congrats on the rig! I have the KGSS and O2mk1 and really enjoy it.

I was wondering how you find it compared to a speaker rig. I really like the headphones, but was considering some speakers for say background music. I keep tossing up whether to find a good speaker and amp, or to go for say something like a quad 11L active and not worry too much about getting awesome sound quality and paying a fortune, as I can just go the KGSS+O2 for that... What are your thoughts on that?

wow, really... This may be a big one, but how so?

Did you think about possible answers to your question before you asked? If you know about both the O2/KGSS and quad 11L active speakers, my guess is that you've been around audio or, at least, audio forums long enough to know the obvious answers.

I kinda wish I had some idea of how it sounds versus a ES-1... but the finality of a BHSE (No upgrades) is pretty appealing to me.

Well shoot if you end up getting them both by some miracle perhaps finally we can have someone do a comparison :)

Well I should be able to do some comparisons in a few months ;D