New O2 + KGSS Rig

tkam

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest aaron313
Filburt's dac was some sort of Assemblage DAC modded by himself.

That was the one we used, and he had a modded transdac, too. For $500, it sounded just ridiculously good.

Oh also his unit was a mark 2 not a mark 1 O2.

Somebody send Justin an O2Mk1, quick, to to develop the BHSE with. And an SR-Omega, 4070, HE90 and HE60.

Tubes, too. I don't have a lot of tube experience, but the current production tubes I've tried all sounded bad compared to old stock tubes. Someone needs to send Justin some EL34 xf1 and xf2, Telefunken with five crimped plate, Philips metal-base and some Sylvania Fat Boys.

The main difference between the two units is the slightly more forward sound of the Mk2 which also has a major (in Stax terms) midbass hump and less bass extension.

Not IME.

The Mk2's midbass is stronger than the Mk1's, but it can be a good thing. For example, there are some tracks I've tried where some background instruments are less audible than the Mk2. In those cases, I thought the Mk2 presented a more balanced tonality and made the bass instruments sound more integrated and balanced with the other instruments and the vocals. With the Mk1, I couldn't hear those instruments as clearly.

Somebody send Justin an O2Mk1, quick, to to develop the BHSE with. And an SR-Omega, 4070, HE90 and HE60.

Tubes, too. I don't have a lot of tube experience, but the current production tubes I've tried all sounded bad compared to old stock tubes. Someone needs to send Justin some EL34 xf1 and xf2, Telefunken with five crimped plate, Philips metal-base and some Sylvania Fat Boys.

Although I am not sure I will send him my cans, I agree that Justin needs more of them to test out his amps. Also agree that he needs some good old NOS tubes. The new stock Mullards he had in Florida were better than the ones he had this last weekend and may account for some of the differences I was hearing. He should have some NOS options for review and then for purchase when he starts shipping.

Also at CanJam he was using an SCD-1. I'm sure the source played a large difference in the sound as well.

if anything the source in NorCal was a significant step up from CanJam. The NWO is a world class player that is incredibly smooth and detailed.