KGSS on AudiogoN

slwiser

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh. That KGSS DX Salty posted is different than I remember, it has an extra Stax jack.

There are few DX Editions out there, each with some differences. The one I posted (the pic, not the link) is what I used to own. The one in the link has HE60 jack in addition to HE90 and Stax jacks.

EDIT - Holy shit, who was listening to the KGSS you posted? The volume knobs are at 3 o'clock are at 3 o'clock.

I wonder if there is any way to fold those Black Gates into the existing cabinet or get a slightly larger one that will hold everything? And how much effort that would be?

Like other have said it would be a lot of trouble for a non issue IMO. One of the first amps was built in a much taller enclosure with the BG's standing vertically inside so the amp could be modified like that but it's a lot of trouble. I'm going to sell my BH soon so it will be fun to see how much the BG's will bump up the price

Think maybe I could install a string of neon lights and give it some back lighting...maybe..make it look like tubes even.;)

That would be an epic fail. :o If you want some pretty light then have somebody build the Gilmore DC amp. Very pretty NE-2 neons or 0A2 diodes

Like other have said it would be a lot of trouble for a non issue IMO. One of the first amps was built in a much taller enclosure with the BG's standing vertically inside so the amp could be modified like that but it's a lot of trouble. I'm going to sell my BH soon so it will be fun to see how much the BG's will bump up the price

Yes, I have that big KGSS with the enclosed blackgates and dual HE90/Stax outputs. A big bad beast that I am thrilled to have. Spritzer, you are amazing. KGBHSE tick tok.

Dan

Yes, I have that big KGSS with the enclosed blackgates and dual HE90/Stax outputs. A big bad beast that I am thrilled to have. Spritzer, you are amazing. KGBHSE tick tok.

Dan

The one I'm working on is a BH on steroids but I'm tempted to have Justin build a BHSE for me as well. One great amp is just not enough...

• 2 weeks later...
Just wait a few more years and someone will be paying 2k just to get the black gates out of it

Question to you Justin....

With those Black Gates setting up on top of the amp like they do, how do you get the top panel off to look inside? There must be wires connecting those Black Gates to a board on the bottom so is there some information that you can provide for me to do this safely?

Anyone else?

Thanks

2498953168_7e626ce318.jpg?t=1215183072

One might suggest that unless you've got a really good reason to open the chassis that maybe it's a good idea to just leave it alone...

This is probably the best advise for me of all....I was just wondering...if I ever need too I can just drive it over to Justins for some work anyway.

One might suggest that unless you've got a really good reason to open the chassis that maybe it's a good idea to just leave it alone...

Good idea as there is no reason to open up a KGSS but this arrangement with the caps was a bit annoying at first on the BH when I was tube rolling like mad.