KGSS on AudiogoN

slwiser

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on who built it. In this case, since it's from headamp it's worth a good bit more than a DIY version in my opinion. New they are ~$1995, which includes the stepper upgrade so his asking price seems pretty steep.

He said that is his asking price. What would be a reasonable offer?

And Wad has the upgrade, though I don't know if it's the same one. He had a couple HPs too. I've bought a W5K and srm-007t from him and sold him my Ed.9, great transactions all around. He tends to turn over equipment pretty rapidly as he's a bit transportation limited (to test) and seems to make up his mind quite quickly (I think a negative Ed.9 review was posted by the time I drove back to SF). :cool:

Course not sure if this is him.

So this is the guy that was being discussed over on the other forum about buying and selling a lot of stuff. I have bought a lot of Stax stuff myself over the last couple of months and will end up selling some of it since I am learning that I like the Stax sound a lot. The early stuff will go. I am not a collector. I have sold my SRM-1 AMP already. I am thinking of selling my SRD-7 Pro/Icon as well in preparation for a 717 or KGSS.

Using multiple accounts seems to be his modus operandi. On the positive side for him, he hasn't totally scammed anybody that I know of. On the negative side, he has used his multiple accounts to try to get more money when selling. He definitely has a different view of right and wrong than I have.

I definitely wont defend using multiple accounts. All I'm saying is if I really wanted this amp now, and wanted to avoid the build time wait/etc, the only reason I wouldnt buy this is if I didnt agree with the price.

I find the multiple accounts a bit trivial on the bases of 'trickery', as he has to post a price, regardless of which account he is on.

And again IF this is Waddragon I know for a fact he's sold some items below market too, so its not all one-sided and certainly this KGSS with upgrades price doesn't seem outrageous either.

If it's multiple accounts I can't defend the cause of that, but as far as I'm concerned it's just a person interested in audio that while he has an interest-free student CC wants to try all the top phones until the interest kicks in. I don't doubt if he loses $100 on a sale (quick sales work both ways) he tries to make it up on another, but I've been guilty of this too.

I've had several conversations with Waddragon (phone/pm) and visited him three times and he's even lent me equipment, including recently the O2, so I'm a fan and when it comes right down to it, he's probably one of the half dozen most generous members I've met over the years through this hobby.

If there's any moral issue here, it's he should give equipment a little more time before passing judgment. ;) I know he bought, sold, then re-bought a W5000 in a short period of time, and I really doubt he made any profit on those transactions.

This kid is a mess, but he has not actually cheated anybody on an actual transaction. As others have said -- and as I have said previously -- he used multiple accounts/user names inappropriately and it should not be surprising that he would do it again.

I cannot find the pic I am thinking of, but Ric saw/heard his KGSS and thought is sounded great. It looks like this HeadAmp model but with 4 big caps running left to right along the back portion of the top panel:

kgss_front_large.jpg

IS that a BG upgrade? Not sure what he paid for it, but I know he is looking to make money fast to pay credit card bills.

IS that a BG upgrade? Not sure what he paid for it, but I know he is looking to make money fast to pay credit card bills.

Yeah, those honking caps out the back are the BG upgrade as far as I know which in some ways would explain the high asking price. Still not sure retail would push $3k, justin is really the only one who can answer that definitively, or someone else who bought a BG'ed KGSS from Headamp.

Yeah, those honking caps out the back are the BG upgrade as far as I know which in some ways would explain the high asking price. Still not sure retail would push $3k, justin is really the only one who can answer that definitively, or someone else who bought a BG'ed KGSS from Headamp.

The BG upgrade was 500$ for the BH back in 2004 if I remember correctly so the KGSS should be something similar.

His ad on Agon also mentions that it has the "upgrading antenuator", which I take to mean he has steppers. Maybe he doesn't realize that the BGs are an upgrade also? Or maybe it is not the same guy.

The steppers are stock so I have no idea what upgraded attenuator their could be.

<snip>

If there's any moral issue here, it's he should give equipment a little more time before passing judgment. ;) I know he bought, sold, then re-bought a W5000 in a short period of time, and I really doubt he made any profit on those transactions.

Smiley aside, what does the time he has equipment have to do with morality. I don't really care if he made a profit or not. I don't care if he is a flipper trying to make a profit or not.

What is morally wrong is that he used multiple accounts, sometimes to bid against others for things he was selling in an attempt to raise the price. He would also use multiple accounts to talk up the product he was selling. This kind of action is morally inexcusable.

Lastly, I don't really care if anybody still buys from him. Now that he has been outed, it's anybody's choice. As I said in my original post, he hasn't totally cheated anybody yet, so you'll probably get what you buy. I hope that it remains true when the interest starts on his credit card and he gets more desperate to pay it off.