Deals

Dusty Chalk

Haj asked me for my complete seasoning method for carbon steel, so here it is:

First, clean it out with hot water and Barkeeper's Friend.  Dry completely.  Heat it over a medium flame, with coarse salt in the bottom of the pan.  When the salt turns purple, swish it around the entire pan.  The steel should start darkening all over.  This is to remove all moisture from the steel.  Let it cool, and wipe the salt out.  Reheat the pan over medium.  Use a paper towel to wipe a layer of Crisco over the entire pan, inside and out (not the handle).  Put it in a 400 degree oven for an hour.  Take it out, wipe another layer of Crisco on the inside only.  The Crisco should brown in the pan.  It will be splotchy at first.  Do this over and over, on the inside only, until you get an even brown layer on the pan.  Let the pan cool, wipe the inside and out with a layer of vegetable oil, and it should be ready to go.  It will eventually turn black, if you keep doing layers, which is a good thing.  Once it turns black, it is more durable than the brown layer, but it takes all day to get it black, so I wouldn't worry about it, unless you have the time.  Just use it after you have a good polymerized layer.  For a while, the seasoning might be sticky, so put a thin coat of vegetable oil on it after use, until it no longer needs it (you'll know when).  It's a bit of work, but totally worth it.  Make some scallops and steak, once you have it seasoned, I think you'll agree with me. :)

This is what all of mine look like:

http://imgur.com/YzycVET

It's a durable, and very nonstick finish (ignore the scratches, those were caused outside of use), and excuse the food splotches, I haven't cleaned up from dinner yet.

What type of Bar Keepers Friend do you use for pans, the "Soft Cleanser" or "Cookware Cleanser"?

http://retail.barkeepersfriend.com/Texas

I got the pan but perhaps I messed it up a bit.  I followed the directions on the pan for a beginning seasoning since I didn't have time to do your full seasoning.  I used some vinegar and hot water to clean it (since I had a bit of rust on the pan and no Bar Keepers Friend).  Then I put some corn oil (I didn't have any Crisco) since that is what I have used on my cast iron pans and heated it up until it smoked.   The problem is that I heated it up too long and now there is burn sticky corn oil residue on the bottom in some places.  So I am thinking I should start over with some Bar Keepers Friend.  Is there a reason to use Crisco over other vegetable oil?  I never keep Crisco in the house.  The corn oil I have is not "refined" so maybe its smoking point is too low. 

Edit:  It seems that people just use the regular BKF powder cleanser for cookware and there isn't much difference between that and the more expensive "cookware." 

Edited by shellylh
  • Like 1

Not sure what I did wrong, but the Crisco didn't work so well for me. It was too thick and chunks came off when I rinsed it with hot water after its first use. I removed it and tried again with flax oil, and that worked really well. I did a pan seared chicken breast with a shallot wine sauce this week and it came out really nicely. First time I actually deglazed a pan and it actually felt like I did it right! Looking forward to getting more experience with it, but first impression is really great.

• Like 1

Ugh, I left out the carbon steel pan out by accident and my house keeper cleaned it. I assume she cleaned it with soap and water like she does other pans. I don't notice any rust but it didn't have much of a coat of seasoning to begin with (and it would be hard to see rust against the brown background). Perhaps I'll clean it a bit with some vinegar and paper towels in case there is a bit of rust and then do more seasoning. I don't really want to strip off all the seasoning and start over again.

Edit:  Nope, I do see some rust around the "screws."  Sigh, I feel like getting a new pan and starting over.  I knew I should have put it away last night before I forgot.  

Edited by shellylh

Why.

The fuck.

Do you have.

BUTTER-.

-flavored.

Crisco?

Baking. There are certain textures you can only get with shortening as it does not contain water like butter. But if you use all shortening, you lose the flavor from butter. It is an attempt to split the difference.

And it is vegan and thus dairy free for those with allergies or dietary restrictions.

Confirmed that the housekeeper did indeed wash it with soap (luckily only soap and not Comet or 409!). Trying to decide whether to scrub all the seasoning off and start again... I scrubbed a bit with baking soda and then some vinegar (and then hot water), and then cooked up some onions in oil. I then tried scrubbing with some kosher salt/oil. It now looks worse than ever! Also, after using BKF on the pan when I first got it, there was definitely some brown showing up so maybe there was also rust. So maybe it is never going to get a good seasoning (if there is a bit of rust underneath). Also thinking of just getting another pan and starting over... that's just how I am. I also read that BKF should never be used on CS since it can cause rusting. Is there any truth to this? If I get a new one, maybe I'll just wash with hot water and soap the first time instead of BKF. Here's what the pan looks like right now. ubyga2yt.jpg

Edited by shellylh

you have to go with very thin coats of the crisco, or it does exactly that, John. Flax seed works great, I have just found that I can get the same results for less money (and I keep crisco around anyway). No idea what butter flavor does, but it can't be good! :)

Yeah, I put it on pretty thick, so that was probably it. More is better, and all that. It was easier to stay thin with the Flax seed oil.

Why.

The fuck.

Do you have.

BUTTER-.

-flavored.

Crisco?

What Doug said. Wife used it for Christmas cookies and had a bunch left over. Otherwise, we generally don't use Crisco.