NorCal 6/28/08 Impressions

tyrion

Well, I just received a phone call from Team NorCal's stand-ins. They are at the beer garden. I now owe each member of the crew $5 and a round of beers for singing Kum By Ya (almost in tune), but although the bet ended there, they also sang Michael Row the Boat Ashore for good measure, and started a rendition of another ditty that they need to work up as a round so I can owe them more money I'll never pay. I'm awaiting that phone call as I type. Thank god for California meets. They are never boring.

impressions of the dt48, sa5k + woo now.

I can tell you this, we've been having a pepsi challenge with 3 different 650s, each with their own cable.

Compared to the 650s, the SA5k is bassless, however the detail is there....i would even consider it less bass then the 701s.

I dont think anyone has a beyer DT48.

ETA is tough as is price, it may get the Moth exterior treatment which would be cool but may add to the price. Probably upper 2k range and probably late summer early fall.

The other potentially interesting news is Craig may have a SS stat amp in the works as one of his colleagues from his Harmon days has a new circuit built up. Right now it's just a singlr channel test bed but we'll see. When asked I though he could sell a run of 5-10 if it was in the mid 2k range and performed at or above the kgss.

The other potentially interesting news is Craig may have a SS stat amp in the works as one of his colleagues from his Harmon days has a new circuit built up. Right now it's just a singlr channel test bed but we'll see. When asked I though he could sell a run of 5-10 if it was in the mid 2k range and performed at or above the kgss.

That's very interesting!! Did he have any specs on it?

Here is what I posted on HF:

Now now now, don't be that way. Your meet organizer is a founding member of Team Florida, and many at your meet are honorary members, who fully understand our caring participation. No need to be hating because you don't.

Nice to see some impressions appearing. I'm half surprised that the KGBH SE/O2 isn't receiving the rave reviews I know it deserves and half not. I don't think the O2 is a great meet phone, and I notice that people are preferring the more forward in the Stax line or the Chinese estats (which I didn't care for much), which do better in meet conditions, but then again, could simply be a matter of preference. To each his own.

The Nautilus, huh? Interesting. What happened to the wonderful sounding Balancing Act? Is that still in the works? How close is the Nautilus to the Balancing Act in sound? I'd been toying with figuring out how to get that amp since CanJam.

Let's see some pics and some more impressions!

Great looking amp..love to hear some more thoughts on the sound.

The SoFla crew is great. It may be the most active of the Head-Fi groups. It must be the best partying group. The idea of a bi-coastal simultaneous meet was genius.

I got to San Mateo Friday afternoon because I didn't want to miss Justin's birthday celebration. Voltron, Iron_Dreamer, blessingx and I took Justin to his favorite west coast restaurant: In 'N Out Burger. After engorging ourselves on burgers and fries, we headed back to the hotel to drink beer and swap headphone lies until it was time for Al and Ric to head home. All in all a quiet, but entertaining birthday celebration.

My meet impressions are pretty sparse. As usual, I spent much more time socializing than listening to equipment. Anyway, here goes.

I think that it was very useful to try out having speakers in the same room with the headphone set ups. IMO, the experiment was a failure. The added volume of the speakers caused the talking to also be louder, so the ambient noise was much louder than usual. Considering normal ambient meeting noise, you can probably imagine how loud it was. I found it difficult to audition anything. In the afternoon, when we were supposed to audition the speaker setup and the volume was turned up, the talking volume again got louder. As a result, I can't tell say how good the B24 amp and Ti's speakers are. I can say that they can get quite loud. I'd have loved to hear this setup in a quiet room with the music playing at normal listening volumes. So as I said, the experiment was useful in that we learned (hopefully) that speaker set ups need their own room to both be able to appreciate them, and so that we can also listen to the headphone set ups.

Before it got too loud, I was able to listen to and compare both the Millet 307A and Eddie Current amps with my balanced Grado HP-2s. Both are great amps. I listened to the 307A first. It is extremely precise and very dynamic. I found the tone to be very good. Then I listened to the Nautilus. It wasn't as dynamic as the 307A, but it's tone was much better. I would call it more musical. I would be extremely happy to have either amp, but if I was going balanced now, I would choose the Nautilus.

Thanks again to Johnny Numbers. The meet was well organized and I had a great time. It was good to see a bunch of new members and it's always great to see friends.

This looks awesome!!! But, again, Ti won't sell it?! :(

Sure he would. You just have to offer enough him enough. ;)