The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

my dad doesnt shoot that much, except on vacations and such, so most of the time, I'll have the camera. so probably no t2i :)

Now you need to convince him to buy some nice glass as the 5D mkII will quickly show the flaws in lesser lenses. Surely he would like 5-6 pieces of L Glass.

Yeah everyone should have that lens in their bag. Then he would probably need two or three really nice tripods to support it. One for portraits and one for sporting events (monopod maybe) and one for hiking (carbon fiber). I use Gitzo.

Now you need to convince him to buy some nice glass as the 5D mkII will quickly show the flaws in lesser lenses. Surely he would like 5-6 pieces of L Glass.

:D I think we're gonna stick with the cheaper primes for the most part (at least for now). pictures taken with the 5d mkII + nifty fifty looks pretty damn good to me :)

The EF 1200mm F/5.6L is 36 lbs and comes with its own tripod and massive transport case (I hesitate to call it a "carrying case.") For a variety of reasons, the original tripod is rarely used. It's nearly has heavy as the damn lens, and not terribly easy to adjust. The truth is, 1200mm is not a very useful focal length on full frame, and even less so on a cropped sensor. There's a reason that Canon only sold ten 1200Ls in a dozen years of production (besides the $120,000 asking price). The used used copy B&H had for sale was a pretty slow mover. With the advent of DSLRs shooting video, the 1200L has gained some usability it previously lacked. I saw a pretty good short on Vimeo of a guy filming birds with the 1200L and a 5DII. Birders are about the only people who has much need for such an extreme focal length.

Anyone here has experiences/opinions with Canon G11? Our finicky P&S has been missing for a while and I need to replace it. I know G12 is probably just around the corner, but rumored new features (HD movie, HDR, etc.) don't interest me and I may have a chance of picking one up for good price.

Canon announced all sorts of crazy shit pre-photokina:

EOS 60D: expected, and pretty cool. 9/10ths a 7D for a lot less.

EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM

EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Extender EF 1.4x III and Extender EF 2x III: *yawn*

EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM: WAT. My favorite response to this was Mike @ ToP: "because they're Canon, and they can"

The 300mm and 400mm F/2.8Ls are replacing models that were introduced in the late 90s. They'll be fantastically well made, boat-anchor heavy, and even more eye-wateringly expensive. The 300mm's MSRP is $7000, the 400mm's is $11,000.

:kitty:

I dunno about an L-grade version of the 70-300mm. It's gonna be F/5.6 for most of its zoom range, and with an MSRP of $1500, I wonder who is the intended market for this beast.

I am quite sure that no one (No. One.) needs a circular fisheye zoom, especially for $1400, but it's pretty fricken cool that Canon made one.

If that weren't enough, Canon announced a new tiny prototype sensor: Canon develops world's largest CMOS sensor, shoots 60fps video in moonlight

^

All of the above is useless. Cept the fisheye. That's just cool.

Yes, Canon, keep replacing telephotos because you don't have enough domination in that market. Sure, release a 70-300mm with terrible optics for $1500, a lens that's failed twice before. And why not destroy the xxD series and completely muck up your DSLR lines in the meantime.

Great job, Canon. The only redeeming thing is that they will probably release the 1Ds IV, which should be awesome.