The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

thanks.....solely for the auto function or scene selection function, which one yields better quality? With my lx3, I never went to fiddle with the manual thing. Its either fully auto or scene selection fr me.

Auto seems to work better, though I have to admit my use of the scene selection modes was very limited. I spent most of my time in the full auto or full manual modes, plus I only had the camera for a day since it wasn't mine.

Has anyone shot medium format cameras/film? It looks pretty interesting but seems like theres a large initial investment if you dont get a lomo camera

The Fuji GA645 series is your friend, goes for around $600 or so on ebay and very easy to use. If you like it and think you'll be doing more medium format work you can then step up to Fuji's 690 series rangefinders which gives you a frame that's twice as large as the 645. The only problem is you'll need a light meter unless you happen to score a 100mm auto-electro lens for the camera.

100 Strangers

Step out of your comfort zone to a new level of portrait photography: take 100 portraits of people you don't know.

The idea

The One Hundred Strangers project is a learning group for people who want to improve the social and technical skills needed for taking portraits of strangers and telling their stories. The method is learning by doing.

The project is lots of fun and improves photojournalistic skills. During the process you might expand your every day living experience - and who knows, maybe you will even get a couple of new friends during the process.

We welcome both beginner and advanced photographers. You may be new to photographing strangers or already have experience of this type of photography.

The challenge

Take 100 photographs of at least 100 people you don't know. Approach a person or group of people and ask for permission to both take a photo of them and to post it to the flickr 100 Strangers group. Get to know your subjects. Who are they? What is their life like?

Try to tell a small story with each photo you take. This may be a story about the person or how you felt approaching that particular individual. You may have, for example, tried a new approach or used a new photographic technique. Try to learn something from every encounter you make.

100 Strangers

Pardon me if the above been posted before. Am quite intrigue by the idea, but need to sharpen my photographic skills first

I love this idea. I've long felt that my reluctance to take pictures of strangers was holding my photography back. Here's a fun way to break in. Anyone else interested?

the 100 strangers isint a new idea. been done at photo classes at my school for a while.

wanna make it interesting? use a wide angle lens, so you have to get reeeeaaal close to the people you're photographing.

I played around with Nifty Fifty today. I really, really liked the focal length (80mm on crop sensor) - makes me wish I had a full frame camera so I can use my 85/1.8 at its actual focal length. The end results were good as well (operator error not withstanding) and the price can't be beat. One thing I don't like is the focusing speed - it's slower than I expected and it probably feels even slower since it's rather noisy. I was hoping it would curb my desire for 50/1.4 but I think it just made it worse (mostly due to its focusing speed).

They're both great lenses. IMO, the 1.4 isn't worth it unless you're doing a lot of indoor low light photography. That extra f stop that you gain with the 1.4 isn't very sharp. That being said, I bought one anyway for the build quality.

Since Canon doesn't seem to be updating their midrange primes anytime soon, I'm probably going to be switching to Nikon after Photokina, although I'll still keep my XTi for the 70-200mm f/4.