The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

got a roll of black and white ilford iso 400 film from amazon today and took a few pictures with my mom's old minolta af eii rangefinder. it is a fixed 35mm plastic bodied point and shoot camera with a mechanical winder. can't find any info on it online other than it goes for 10 bucks on ebay. anyone have suggestions for where I can send the roll and get reasonable big scans (bigger than 1200x1200) for less than $15? sams club and walmart don't work with film anymore. the local costco doesn't do it not that I have a membership with them anyways. I have contacted 2 local cvs' and walgreens each but neither of them do film processing - they are all just printing services now it seems. I don't mind shipping stuff out and don't want prints. just clean scans to a cd or some ftp server that i can get the files from. i don't have the time to do black and white film processing myself even though it seems pretty straightforward so need some place that I can send the roll to.

given that I have no clue if the camera is still functioning properly or not I'd like to get away with the cheapest possible route for now for verification purposes. once I have the negatives I can get it rescanned with a "better" scanner.

You might give a call to Moon Photo in Seattle. I sometimes bring rolls of 120 in from my Holga. The owner quietly laughs when I tell him that. Anyway, the proof prints are quiet amazing, so I can only imagine what a final print would look like. The basic scans (see services) are $10, enhanced are $20. I really trust this guy.

got a roll of black and white ilford iso 400 film from amazon today and took a few pictures with my mom's old minolta af eii rangefinder. it is a fixed 35mm plastic bodied point and shoot camera with a mechanical winder. can't find any info on it online other than it goes for 10 bucks on ebay. anyone have suggestions for where I can send the roll and get reasonable big scans (bigger than 1200x1200) for less than $15? sams club and walmart don't work with film anymore. the local costco doesn't do it not that I have a membership with them anyways. I have contacted 2 local cvs' and walgreens each but neither of them do film processing - they are all just printing services now it seems. I don't mind shipping stuff out and don't want prints. just clean scans to a cd or some ftp server that i can get the files from. i don't have the time to do black and white film processing myself even though it seems pretty straightforward so need some place that I can send the roll to.

given that I have no clue if the camera is still functioning properly or not I'd like to get away with the cheapest possible route for now for verification purposes. once I have the negatives I can get it rescanned with a "better" scanner.

Sorry I didnt think of it before:

Walmart.

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/04/11/get-120-film-developed-on-the-cheap-at-walmart/

I saw that. While I still think APS-C sensor is too big for a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera, here's hoping Canon does a better job with their lens lineup than Sony has thus far.

Whats wrong with APS-c in this sort of camera?

15 years ago we had full frame cameras that size and nobody complained.

Whats wrong with APS-c in this sort of camera?

15 years ago we had full frame cameras that size and nobody complained.

Nothing in itself. I'm just of the opinion that if you're going to make the body small by going mirrorless, might as well make the lenses small as well and with APS-C sized sensor, doing that gets more difficult/expensive as there's more sensor area to cover than had they gone with smaller sensor. Doesn't mean Canon can't or won't make smaller lenses as the rumored/pictured pancake looks small enough, but we'll see what they'll do with rest of the lens lineup.

On topic of the particular camera, I do wonder what it will do to Canon's entry-level dSLRs.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

Appears it just got announced officially...

http://www.theverge....mera-competitor

$800.

"When we met with Canon, reps were careful to note what the EOS M is, and what it isn't. In the US, the company is positioning the EOS M as a video-first camera, designed to be something of a companion tool for videographers and cinematographers much the same way the G1 X is designed for pro shooters who want something smaller than their DSLR. Since it lacks a viewfinder, reps said, it doesn't provide the same still photography experience as a camera like the T4i. Without the controls and ergonomics of a DSLR, it's also not as fast to operate. Canon's not even calling the EOS M a "mirrorless camera," lest buyers be confused into thinking it's a NEX or Micro Four Thirds competitor. Though the camera's clearly capable of the same functionality as a NEX-F3 or an Olympus OM-D E-M5, Canon imagines a different user, one much more focused on video. If you want to step up from a point-and-shoot, reps said, buy a T4i."

EOS_M_black_slant_Mount_Adapter_EF_EOS_M_70-200-hero.jpg

Edited by blessingx

$800 is not as bad as I expected with 22mm f/2 lens and the flash included. But add the EF-M adapter, it's $1000, and now we're too close to used 5D II prices, which will still spank the 18 MP APS-C sensor.

I think I'll wait until the price drops to $650 ish within a year or so.. or never.

• 2 weeks later...