The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

Looks like Ian's wife Lauren is going to end up with my D700. Hopefully it does as well for her as it has for me. I still haven't had much quality time with the D800, other than enough to get my settings dialed in, fall in love with a couple of new features, and test out shooting video a f/1.4 on an FX sensor (fun!)

The D700 arrived last night and she was pretty much blown away with its low-light performance, even with her DX lens on it. I bumped up the shipping on her new lens (50 1.4D) so it will arrive today. The improvements from the D70 are staggering, though I'm still pretty happy to be getting my camera back.

Thanks again, and enjoy the 800!

The D700 arrived last night and she was pretty much blown away with its low-light performance, even with her DX lens on it. I bumped up the shipping on her new lens (50 1.4D) so it will arrive today. The improvements from the D70 are staggering, though I'm still pretty happy to be getting my camera back.

Thanks again, and enjoy the 800!

I'm glad she's so pleased, and that the camera's staying in the family. I can only imagine how blown away she must be, as I went D70s->D200->D700, and I was still staggered by the D700, as much by the dynamic range improvement as the low-light.

I've yet to have the chance to shoot the D800 in my preferred environments, but I have been pretty amazed with the video capabilities. All these photogs who complain about having video in their DSLR are NUTS!

Because of the laptop/ipad support, the 7 was a little more rigid than the 10. I like the way the 10 forms to my body. I did like that it was slightly wider and shorter though - easier to get more stuff in and out fast. However, it was basically too similar to the 10 and I didn't feel like selling the 10 to recover some of the cost of the 7 (cuz I'm lazy). I think the UD 35 is better for laptop support since the opening is a little larger than that on the 7. Plus, I like to be able to use the Tom Bihn Absolute Strap on a "heavy" bag which I can on the UD bags but not on the Retro bags.

I saw your first post and starting trying to find 1300 bucks :)

Then I read other replies to my post and I had a sad :(

Well it was all to good to be true,

I just got scammed from the local trader, my fault, I was completely played. Got to hand it to the guy, he was good, I lost all my sons money he had saved for this camera as well as a large amount of my own. Never again.

In the off chance any of you guys are thinking of selling your Canon 5D Mark 2, I've posted a thread in the trading section.

Well it was all to good to be true,

I just got scammed from the local trader, my fault, I was completely played. Got to hand it to the guy, he was good, I lost all my sons money he had saved for this camera as well as a large amount of my own. Never again.

In the off chance any of you guys are thinking of selling your Canon 5D Mark 2, I've posted a thread in the trading section.

Ouch John, that sucks! What was the scam? Broken camera?

Thanks guys.

Yikes. File a police report?

I’ve done a trace and recover with the bank. There’s a very slim chance I may get my money back.

Ouch John, that sucks! What was the scam? Broken camera?

The camera was never posted, I don’t think there was any camera. I talked to the guy on the phone, he sounded honest, sent me me pics (of some camera). Contact was good for the first week, then nothing, he vanished into thin air.

Edited by johnwmclean

The camera was never posted, I don’t think there was any camera. I talked to the guy on the phone, he sounded honest, sent me me pics (of some camera). Contact was good for the first week, then nothing, he vanished into thin air.

Wow, that sux. It's really difficult to ascertain credibility of people on local listings where there is no feedback system, i.e. ebay or Agon ratings. If using local ads, I try to show up with cash in hand for personal exchange, but then again, I once drove an hour and waited another hour for the "nice guy" seller who never showed up and stopped answering (I presume) bogus google voice number.

I'm really sorry to hear that John. It totally sucks and shows it can happen to anyone.

As for me, I had been toying with the idea of full frame and I will still grab a D700 for the right price, but I also realize that the D7000 is still so much more advanced than my own skills that I need to get the hang of it first. I will save and buy some FX glass as a next step.

I shot my son's baseball game in the bright sun the other day. Not easy. But I was much better about freezing the action as I had enough light to work with fast shutter speeds while keeping the ISO reasonable. Exposure was all over the place, so I need to figure that out, but at least the relationship between speed, light, shutter speed, ISO is starting to come together.