The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

Yeah, I am using the 30 day trial of Aperture now. I know I can get a thirty day trial of CS5 so I assume I can get Lightroom as well and will try it out.

Coming from Photoshop CS, Aperture seems kind of strange but I very much like the controls.

Adobe currently has Lightroom 3 Beta 2 (public) out that is free to use until they release version 3 or next beta build. This is what I'm using and I really like it, though admittedly, I haven't used many other tools.

I've tried out Aperture 3 but it runs slow on my MacBook - I think this is a function of my old MacBook w/ integrated graphics than the software, though.

I really like the yawning picture, Reks.

I don't know if anyone here would be interested, but 2010 National Natural Landmarks Photo Contest from National Park Services is open.

NPS: Explore Nature

Hey thanks for the info, now I have even more incentive for greater variety of trips into the mountains! But with only up to 3 photo submissions I guess I'm going to have to be picky on the locations, too many national parks here. ;)

Whoa. Those IR pics are amazing. *Goes off to look up older-model Nikon D prices on eBay*

My D80 body is still for sale here on HC: http://www.head-case.org/forums/general-sale/7828-fs-nikon-d80-body-sb-400-flash.html. For you I'd ship to the UK too. I've since taken more pics with it so the shutter release count is out-of-date now, but it hasn't been that many.

Thanks! I really appreciate the gesture and the willingness to ship. A D80's probably beyond my level of need, but thanks very much for the thought. (And I'm still a Limited Edition Unworthy to See Classified Ads Participant, so that link is off limits to me anyway :( )

i think it's about time to load up the FM2 with film again. does anybody know if ilford is still the way to go with B&W? it's what i used to shoot, but the camera place that i bought it from went out of business years ago, and none of the local places that are still open carry it. they do carry the full range of Kodak B&W (and, strangely, very little color film). i can get ilford online, or at a place 30 miles away, but if current kodak is good, no point going to the extra effort. i haven't shot film in years, i just don't know what it's like now.

They're fairly similar for the most part unless you're going with Pan F Plus or Tri-X. Those 2 have a signature look to them which isn't found in the other films from either company, but with the rest of them, processing will make a bigger difference than the films themselves. Kodak's T-Max films have a slightly finer grain & better resolution than their Ilford Delta series counterparts, but chances are you'll never notice the difference unless you're using a tripod for everything and have the best lenses money can buy.

C41 process B&W film is a crap shoot. I can come out looking amazing, or it can be horrid. Unfortunately, the outcome is less affected by your skill at exposing it right, and more by the development process. I have shot quite a bit of Kodak BW400CN, below are some (mixed) results:

Really good:

2725932159_37bf89f1d3_b.jpg

2732279644_a8acc97977_b.jpg

Very bad:

4008311883_54204dbe3f_b.jpg

4007172448_868caba6e5_b.jpg

Both sets were taken with the same camera and lens, and developed by the same lab. At some point, the lab got some new staff, who are unbelievably incompetent. So bad that I don't use them any more.

My only other comment on B&W film is that Tri-X is one of the most forgiving film stocks in the world. It has a huge exposure latitude, allowing the user to get some kind of image even in difficult circumstances. Most of my friends who shot old, manual cameras favor it for that reason.

i probably just get tri-x. i don't even need it printed, just developed and scanned from the negatives. i'm guessing that there are services for that?

Yes, there are services for that.

You could also get into doing your own processing & scanning. For B&W processes its easier than most people think.

I have all my gear packed up for this weekends races. Looks like I will have about 10 races to shoot plus the car show so I am hoping to come home with 2k+ photos for the weekend. I assume .1% of those will be worthwhile so I will have enough post a couple here.