The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

I went with the tripod setup that was as light as possible to ensure I would actually bother carrying it. I have a really light one now that works great and weighs about the same as my camera, the Gitzo 1531 Legs and 1780QR head. Works beautifully but is probably overkill.

Thanks, glad you like them. I have a couple more I've edited that I'll get around to posting later. TBH, my tripod isn't a very good one. It's a $150 Manfrotto. I find it to be a PITA to use, especially in the dark, but it does enable me to take shots I couldn't otherwise.

I've actually been thinking about getting one of the manfrotto 190 carbon fiber tripods... not a good idea?

:palm: Flickr has redone their photo page layout. It's a "preview" right now. It just futzed with it, and it's awful. Every action takes more clicks now, and a lot info is hidden. Tags a jumble, the date taken and uploaded aren't show. "Too clever by half" would be an improvement. :rant:

:palm: Flickr has redone their photo page layout. It's a "preview" right now. It just futzed with it, and it's awful. Every action takes more clicks now, and a lot info is hidden. Tags a jumble, the date taken and uploaded aren't show. "Too clever by half" would be an improvement. :rant:

I hate the "improvements" as well.

I went with the tripod setup that was as light as possible to ensure I would actually bother carrying it. I have a really light one now that works great and weighs about the same as my camera, the Gitzo 1531 Legs and 1780QR head. Works beautifully but is probably overkill.

Yeah, there's no sense in having a tripod that you never take out. I know I certainly am a bit more diligent about having my current 3.5lb Benro CF pod/Photoclam head with me, than I was about my former 5.5lb Velbon/Giottos rig. The much shorter folded length (Gitzo traveler-style foldover legs) also makes a bit difference in portability.

I wouldn't call your setup overkill at all, if anything, it might be "underkill" for your 100-400. But big teles demand big tripods, so that is likely a separate tripod altogether if you get serious about your long lenses. For regular sized lenses, you should be doing quite well.

I got the 35 f1.4L and the 100 f2.8L II Macro.

I like the strap a lot so far. This with the Retrospective has made about the perfect daily carry set up for me. I am kind of worried about getting annoyed unscrewing the mount every time I want to use the tripod.

Very nice, congrats, Jeff. When I shot a 5D the 35L was my favorite prime. Never owned the 100 Macro, but with the D700, the Nikon 105 Micro is sweet. You're in for some nice prime shooting.

The BlackRapid strap just plain scares me ... just don't like seeing all that expensive gear hanging like that. Technically, I know it's probably stronger than neck strap supports, but it gives me the creeps. Will be interested in your real world experience.

Here's another shot, from the highest point in Southern California, the 11,500ft San Gorgonio Mountain. Out in the distance you see the low-lying smog and coastal fog shrouding the Inland Empire and San Gabriel valley, and further out the Santa Ana mountain range of Orange County topped by the 5,700ft Santiago Peak.

dsc6147u.jpg

Yeah, I was just being Mr. Analytical. No matter who's behind the eyepiece/screen, there are going to be plenty of worthless to ordinary shots for every great one. Even if that shot isn't technically perfect, I'm sure it still expresses a great feeling for you, which is probably why you posted it. I certainly know that I keep shots I am not pleased with technically, if only because of the moment/subject matter.

is any body else really into vignetting (none in the photo above, of course), or is it just me?

Depends on what I'm going for, sometimes I'll use it to tone down distracting stuff around the edge of a frame if cropping it out messes up the framing, sometimes I'll use it to put a bit more emphasis on the subject, sometimes I'll do it just cause it looks better to me for whatever reason, and other times I won't use it at all. I usually keep it fairly subtle though, just enough to get effect without having it become obvious.

IMG_8968.jpg