The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

Aye, I remember you saying that Reks. There's nothing wrong with cameras having great high ISO performance. My next (dream) camera is the D700S, for that very reason. My 30D's upper-ISO performance is weak, so I've developed a technique to work around it. I was more taking issue with Ironed Reamer thinking he's going to win any pissing contests with camera specs alone.

Shutterfly's not bad but you might want to disable their Vivid Pics setting for portraits, the default setting tends to make skintones too saturated & red. Take advantage of the free 50 pics they give you when you sign up, pick out a dozen or so photos which are representative of your shooting style and print'em up with your free sample allowance.

My personal favourite is AdoramaPix since they have a much larger choice of papers, you can get matte, lustre, silk, glossy, and metallic papers, the metallic is awesome if you have a lot of bright bold colours in your photos. You can even get all the colour profiles off their site so you can preview & make sure that all the colours in the photos look the way they should.

Aye, I remember you saying that Reks. There's nothing wrong with cameras having great high ISO performance. My next (dream) camera is the D700S, for that very reason. My 30D's upper-ISO performance is weak, so I've developed a technique to work around it. I was more taking issue with Ironed Reamer thinking he's going to win any pissing contests with camera specs alone.

I don't think I was. Isn't tongue-in-cheek kinda the offical m.o. around here? With everyone going on about ISO ratings, I thought I'd poke a little fun by with a couple of relatively mediocre pictures only remarkable in their lack of noise at extreme ISO. :cool:

The D700S, should it ever show up, would be great. I am amazed every time I look at high ISO D3S files. It just really makes you wonder where things will be in ten years (considering that DSLR's were essentially a new item on the market ten years ago.

You and ASR need to have a stead-hand shootout. I always chuckle when I stroll by him at a meet, and hear how ridiculously long his shutter speeds often are, handheld.

2vmy2w5.jpg

Oh, SNAP, the local Hunt's has an EF 135mm F/2L in stock. That is crazy. They usually have the "standard" L zooms (17-40, 24-70, 24-105, and several iterations of the 70-200), but they never have any neat L primes. As I have *ahem* mentioned before, I have something of a fixation with 135mm primes. With the exception of a few super exotics (the Nikon 135mm F/2 Defocus Control, and the absolutely INSANE K-M 135mm F/2.8 STF), the 135L is the most desirable 135mm on the planet. It's also a "bargain" by L prices, usually just under $1000. Hunt's, ass-jackers that they are, want $1070 for it. Truthfully, that's not terrible price. Good thing they just got it in stock today, and not a week ago when they had their big yearly sale going. If that were the case, I'd be looking at a series of difficult decisions.

d'oh. for whatever reason, i read "Unfortunately, the macro capabilities leave a lot to be desired" as "Unfortunately, the capabilities leave a lot to be desired,"

yeah, sorry for the confusion. Point being, my Canon G9 macro works better than the Panasonic, and I'm assuming this is due to the lens I'm using on the latter.

that's a pretty good pic, dude.

Thanks

Well, it's a helicopter, taken from another helicopter. You got it in frame and in focus, which is nontrivial to do, I imagine. Nice work. The Euphrates looks like Uranus. That's what she said.

Yeah it can be a bit harder than one would think. Taking a lot of pictures helps ;) I think I need to learn PS a bit to make my pictures look better.

Couple more of people living in literally the middle of nowhere. There was a lot of cropping in these. Not great shots but mildly interesting.

beduin.jpg

donkey2.jpg

I love the Iraq series Naaman.

I took the new 50d for a walk in my neighborhood this morning.

Skyline Silhouette

Skyline.jpg

WTC Memorial

Beam.jpg

Close up of leave behinds

Angel.jpg

Impromptu Statue/Memorial Piece

Statue1.jpg

Unlucky Soldier with a rifle bayonet and rifle hanging out of his back.

Statue2.jpg

My disparate next door neighbors

Trump.jpg

Warehouse.jpg