Magnetically shielded speakers.

Knuckledragger

As part of the renovation of my house, I moved some the cabinets in my kitchen, and there's no longer room for the hutch on my computer desk. Said hutch has held my ancient-but-beloved EV Sentry studio monitors for years. I can't set the EVs on the desk because they're not magnetically shielded in the slightest. I'm in the market for some replacements, cost $500-1,500. That's a big range I realize, but house repairs have uh, complicated my financial situation, and I'm unsure how much I'll be able to spend.

I'm leaning toward unpowered, unless there's a great deal on powered monitors in that price range. I used a Hafler P125 (60WPC) to drive the EVs, but I also have an EV amp that puts out 600W RMS (it's a PA amp, yes I am aware how silly that is.) Source is either the analog out from my NAD receiver (video game noises, youtube) or the loop out from GLite (fed by my Adcom). Suggestions?

BEcAUsE If yOU trY tO dO thAt yOUrsElf, thE fOIl mAkEs crInkly nOIsEs.

hYdrociTy is that you? ;D

I don't think I'd fare to well taking apart the EVs and attempting such major surgery. Based on past experiences, I suspect I'd kill them. The second approach of applying flat pieces of shielding to the speakers is a lot more feasible, but I'd need to do both sides and the bottom of each speaker. I might have to do the top and back as well. It's not a CRT I'm trying to protect, it's my computer, external HDDs, flash memory, laptop, DSLR, etc etc. I am unsure of the respective EMR sensitivity of these various items, but I'm not really looking to find out either.

I am investigating both the Sierra-1s and the Quads. The latter of course enjoys an excellent reputation, on head-case and elsewhere. Sadly, I have never heard a pair. The Sierras are most likely in my price range. Dare I ask what Quad 12L actives cost? :o

It's not a CRT I'm trying to protect, it's my computer, external HDDs, flash memory, laptop, DSLR, etc etc. I am unsure of the respective EMR sensitivity of these various items, but I'm not really looking to find out either.

You should be fine it takes a pretty darm strong magnetic field to kill hd's and other electronic devices. I really wouldn't worry about it at all.

Excessive and unnecessary or no, I want magnetically shielded speakers. @EOF.

I have never used Audiogon before. I just initiated the registration process with them, which can take up to one business day, apparently. I see two sets of Quad 12L actives for sale on there, both are about $800/offer:

Pair one: gloss black, ~5 hours of use. Probably demos. This sell was recommended to me by a fellow head-caser.

Pair two: gloss black, NIB, comes with warranty(?)

I have, uh, never made an offer on an auction site before. As a new user with zero feedback, am I out of line to offer, say, $650 for a pair?

If they're retailers, they're not likely to take you up on your offer.

You can show them this and try the old, "they didn't even sell for $750" tactic, which gives you a little more credence.

Or, if you're passive like I am, you could just say, "what is your best price, including shipping and insurance?" That actually works sometimes, especially if you're polite about it. And tell them that "you're ready to buy now".

But someone with more experience negotiating online will give you a better answer.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

I have, uh, never made an offer on an auction site before. As a new user with zero feedback, am I out of line to offer, say, $650 for a pair?

Out of line? Who's to say, but don't be surprised if you just get ignored lowballing like that. Expecting someone to knock more than 20% off of the price is a bit much IMO, especially considering the low-use of both pairs. Of course there are others that follow the "if you're not embarrassed by your offer it's too high" rule as well.

I really wouldn't worry either. 650 seems like a low-ball offer to me but if you want to take a shot all they can do is say no or ignore you. If you pay up front (assuming they have good feedback) then they are at no risk with even a new A-gon member. Also, give them a link to your HF/HC feedback.

Oh, and I don't believe you need shielded speakers either, but go for it!

Okay, pair two is out. They're located in Puerto Rico, and the shipping is prohibitive. Pair one is in MasNoNoNoNoNoNosetts, and includes shipping in the cost(!)

Audiogon activated my account in pretty short order. I just sent an message to the MA seller. I used the patented Dusty method of asking what his best price was, and offering to pick up the speakers if that reduce the price significantly. It's about a 90 minute drive one way to the seller, who is a distributor apparently.