Best Single Ended USB DAC under 1000?

Jeepster

I am looking to build a new system, dynamic balanced or ('low-end') electrostatic. And I know that a good source is important, so what USB DAC should I choose? I have a Pico at the moment and I realized that I don't need portability so I may get something better. So far I looked at the Stello DA100S or the Cambridge Audio DacMagic but I suspect there are many other options. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking to build a new system, dynamic balanced or ('low-end') electrostatic. And I know that a good source is important, so what USB DAC should I choose? I have a Pico at the moment and I realized that I don't need portability so I may get something better. So far I looked at the Stello DA100S or the Cambridge Audio DacMagic but I suspect there are many other options. Thanks in advance.

The dac only pico is on the horizon...

And the pico isn't balanced. If you are going to spend the money for a balanced system, don't stint on the source. Get a good balanced source too.

And the pico isn't balanced. If you are going to spend the money for a balanced system, don't stint on the source. Get a good balanced source too.

Yes I know, that's why I've written those two and waiting for your other recommendations ;) Some balanced amplifiers do accept unbalanced input as well, does it hurt the SQ badly?

The Assemblage can be balanced at the builder's discretion? Or no?

Is that better or worse than the TransDAC?

I'm not entirely sure who else owns/owned the TPA stuff, but I've read comments here and there from SACD Lover and swt61. Keeping an eye on naamanf's loaner program thread...

Sonic Frontiers/Assemblage are essentially gone. All those dacs we discussed are vintage and so very few (If any) of them have USB input. If that is a criteria then they aren't suitable.

Oops, forgot about the requirement for USB input. I already knew that any Assemblage DAC would have to be bought used. I wonder how hard it would be to add a USB input to one and whether it would be worth it. Time to use your product to find USB dacs.

Ok, here's a quick (and definitely not exhaustive) list of USB DACS to get started:

1. Wavelength Brick - retails for $1750. You might find one used for $1000 or less.

2. Wavelength Proton - coming soon. Will retail for $900.

3. Stello DA100 - $695

4. Apogee Mini-DAC - $895

Note that I've not heard any of these DACs and, to the best of my knowledge) all are single-ended.

I have been impressed with Blutarsky's Stello DA100 every time I listen to it, and the USB DAC sounds pretty good when the upsampling is left on. With upsampling bypassed the USB is a little thinner and less spacious sounding. The DA100 signature adds balanced output too.

At the Colorado head-fi meet last weekend, the DA100 was clearly better than the DACMagic which was a little too polite sounding. My Apogee mini-DAC was marginally better than the DA100, and it needs the sigma 11 PSU to smooth it out a bit and beat the Stello by a hair. Others agreed my Apogee was a little more detailed but they preferred the Stello more because they were concerned about possible fatigue with the Apogee. Fatigue really hasn't been a problem for me.