Sippin' Bourbon Favorites

morphsci

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a big fan of Old Forresters for an inexpensive sipper. Bites like a bourbon should.

I had a small run-in with some (actually quite a bit of) Old Forresters in college. To this day I try to stay away from it. So I would say it does have some bite, 30+ years :eek:

I think I'll look for the van Winkle and maybe some Maple Hill tomorrow in C-U.

Black Maple Hill Rye 23 yr

1025683x.jpg

i've tried a few bourbons and from what has been mentioned the knob creek and woodford are a little better than just ok to me, but the BMH Rye 23 yr is exceptional -- so far it's gotta be my favorite bourbon. now i am itching to get my hands on Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 20 yr. though, i need to hold off as i've went a bit crazy acquiring scotch.

i've tried a few bourbons and from what has been mentioned the knob creek and woodford are a little better than just ok to me, but the BMH Rye 23 yr is exceptional -- so far it's gotta be my favorite bourbon. now i am itching to get my hands on Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 20 yr. though, i need to hold off as i've went a bit crazy acquiring scotch.

$110/bottle.... Yikes!

that stuff does ok in punch, sure.

I hadn't had it in a glass in years as I normally use it for cooking. So I had a small glass last night. It's really not bad at all and quite good for the price. Of course it won't stand up to the premium brands being tossed about it, but it's about $12/btl.

Since I like wheaters, I like W.L. Weller and the prices are a fucking steal.

Rebel Yell is a wheater made from the original W.L. Weller recipe. I'll have to try the Weller too and see how it compares.

$110/bottle.... Yikes!

It's under $100/btl at Beverage Warehouse. An absolute steal! :rolleyes: I'm going to buy a bottle anyway.

I fully agree that Rye and Bourbon are two different whiskeys, but I did not think that this thread would exclude Rye.

As for Booker's, I really like the flavor, which is oaky and only slightly smokey, and the bite is special. They say it is the only uncut, unfiltered, straight-from-the-barrel bourbon and it really does have a complex, changeable flavor. It is also the highest alcohol level available, which increases the thrum. :cool: