ALO M3?

Pars

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ultra :palm:

why does he call it a m^3 when its a mini^3?

Yeah, that bothers me. I've owned both M^3 and Mini^3 and it's pretty hard to mistake one for the other. In fact, if Ken built the amp himself by following AMB's schematics where the name of the amp is clearly written, how the hell can use the wrong name now? Maybe it's a tactic to make people believe it's a better amp that what it really is. :palm:

Well it's officially a Mini3. And I totally reversed my opinion on Ken. The guy is Harry fucking Houdini because he managed to cram $200 worth of upgraded caps in Mini3. And to make it even more amazing the Mini3 is a DC coupled amp without any caps in the signal path to begin with. With the help of his side kick Vinne of course. Brilliant! But don't complain about the price.

The Aristocrats.

Price : below $300 and above $275. WHAT A COMPLETE RIP-OFF !!! Well I guess it follows that long-time ALO tradition.

It's a blessing we have Rockhopper Audio as a decent alternative.

Hooray for capacitor upgrades! Totally worth it!

Well it's officially a Mini3. And I totally reversed my opinion on Ken. The guy is Harry fucking Houdini because he managed to cram $200 worth of upgraded caps in Mini3. And to make it even more amazing the Mini3 is a DC coupled amp without any caps in the signal path to begin with. With the help of his side kick Vinne of course. Brilliant! But don't complain about the price.

The Aristocrats.

All I had to do was add "boutique caps"

MOTHER FUCKER!!!!!

funny-pictures-angry-cat-curses-you.jpg

Well, unfortunately Amb seems to be aware and supportive in this case (he posted in the thread). That was my biggest concern that ALO had just "appropriated" the design, much as a certain other manufacturer seems to. And do you really think that KB built this? Upgraded caps? There are only 5 electrolytics and 6 ceramics or possibly film caps in a mini3. Oh, maybe his version is no longer DC coupled, cuz ya know a boutique cap in the signal path is pure win...

Well, unfortunately Amb seems to be aware and supportive in this case (he posted in the thread). That was my biggest concern that ALO had just "appropriated" the design, much as a certain other manufacturer seems to. And do you really think that KB built this? Upgraded caps? There are only 5 electrolytics and 6 ceramics or possibly film caps in a mini3. Oh, maybe his version is no longer DC coupled, cuz ya know a boutique cap in the signal path is pure win...

I thought Amb just made things clear by stating Mini^3 and M^3 are different amps.

I thought Amb just made things clear by stating Mini^3 and M^3 are different amps.

HI all,

<snip>

I had no intentions of not claiming that the amp is indeed a M3 board and design, hence the name of the amp. I had the help of Vinnie Rossi (Red Wine Audio) with the amp, he helped me with the mod for the amp with the approval of Ti Kan (AMB Laboratories DIY Audio Site). <snip>

Amb didn't seem to object, and Ken indicated he had his approval?

It seems like Amb ok-ed the project before hand. Still, 300 bucks for a mini^3 is just crazy

What makes you say that? Granted, I think his chassis lacks creativity but generally speaking if he offers warranty and other customer support associated with the sale that price is pretty easily justified. I'd stack that amp up against just about anything in the sub $500 bracket and expect it to hold its own.

At least from a design perspective I can't fault ALO for seeking out Ti, but he may quickly discover the DIY-ain't-worth-a-damn paradigm.