Ayre K-XR Pre and M-XR Monoblocks -- Who's heard them?

Voltron

I admit that Wes Phillips' reviews of these two flagship models have got me looking at them, but everything I read seems intriguing and alluring. These are shockingly high cost items, so I am both hesitant to go too far down the rabbit hole of this fixation and yet still very curious. I also admit that the K-XR User Manual's suggestion that a balanced tape out could be used for a headphone amplifier made my heart go pitter-pat. Recognition in the highest of the high end! :P

Anybody else heard the these and/or have any opinions on them or their design? A local dealer reps them, so I hope to get a listen later this week. :o

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be cool. The pre has 2 balanced pre-outs and 2 balanced tape outs to go along with the 4 s/e and 4 balanced inputs, so it can do a whole lot. Any number of the ins and the tape outs can also be turned completely off and the ground lifted so it is like they ain't there.

Marc and Birgir-

What is it that you are talking about, or in other words what would I ask Ayre to explain? My comment about their suggestion of using the tape loop for a headphone amp was purely for grins and giggles because I don't recall seeing that in other hi-end preamplifier documentation. I was not suggesting it was anything special. As for turning off the inputs and the tape outs, my understanding is just what Wes Phillips and the Ayre manual say: turning them off "completely disconnects the auxiliary components from the K-XR (including the ground connection)." Wes goes into more detail on how it is done -- I think -- but mainly it just seemed like a good idea with so many ins and outs to be able to disconnect them and lift the ground to prevent ground loops or other interference from having all those empty jacks. That's all.

Thanks, Al

I was not suggesting it was anything special

I suppose for some a heart-pitter-patter is special ;) anyways, the question would be whether or not the main preamplifier circuity is responsible for handling the headphone load, or if it's an ancillary function. The latter would be my guess. Reason being that the tape loop may be powering something like a tube amp that in normal situations would cause an impedance mismatch.

The pitter-patter was due solely to Ayre mentioning headphone amplifiers in their manual. ;)

Here is the totality of the manual info on the tape outputs, and at least the third paragraph suggests there is a difference in how the signal gets from input to output as compared to the main outputs:

The Ayre KX-R provides two tape outputs per channel,

allowing connection of the selected source component to a

recording device, headphone amplifier, or secondary sound

system. These tape outputs utilize balanced XLR connectors.

Should it be necessary to connect a tape output to a

single-ended component, high-quality adapters are available

from your Ayre dealer.

Turn the tape outputs off unless they are currently being used.

This will completely disconnect the auxiliary components from

the KX-R (including the ground connection), eliminating the

possibility of undesired ground loops.

Unlike the main outputs, the tape outputs will not convert the

signal from a single-ended source to a true balanced signal.

Instead, the “hot” signal will be present on pin 2 of the XLR

and pin1 and 3 will be grounded. This allows a connected

balanced component to internally perform the single-ended to

balanced conversion without the need for adapters.

The tape outputs are controlled by a button on the remote

control handset. Pressing the button activates the tape outputs,

and pressing it a second time will turn them off.

Turn the tape outputs off unless they are currently being used.

This will completely disconnect the auxiliary components from

the KX-R (including the ground connection), eliminating the

possibility of undesired ground loops.