Is there anything that competes with the HeadAmp GS-1?

Sounds interesting. Unfortunately, I've got no money, nor dynamic cans to try with it, but I agree with the suggestion that someone should take a hit for the team. Seriously though, TTVJ should build better looking enclosures for its amps. No matter how good they sound, I'm sure they'd sell many more amps than they do now if their amps had better looks. Not necessarily mil-spec bling bling like Ray Samuels, but something simple and slick like HeadAmp or Woo Audio.

Labels covered up by jacks, on/off switches being flipped from the norm, fading letters, I just don't get why someone would do custom panels and make those kinds of mistakes/decisions.

Since the real amp doesn't exist yet I'm betting this is a prototype and that the lettering mistake in particular will be corrected in the production version.

Edit: I think the lettering was printed on a clear overlay and that's what is making that panel look like poo more than anything else.

Edited by n_maher

Since the real amp doesn't exist yet I'm betting this is a prototype and that the lettering mistake in particular will be corrected in the production version.

Edit: I think the lettering was printed on a clear overlay and that's what is making that panel look like poo more than anything else.

Yeah, quite likely. The 307A was definitely a nice looking amp.

So are you getting the GS-X? If so color me jealous, these orthos I'm listening to would probably love that balanced power.

*chuckle* What I am doing here is not putting the financial cart before the horse. After I have had the four pieces of tube gear (3 Macs and a Dynaco) restored, I'll put them on the market. If I get anything close to what they're worth, I'll should have enough money for a decent headphone amp. Which one, I can't say yet. It will probbably be silver and say "HeadAmp" on it.

Go on, take one for the team and buy a BHSE for that TakeT. The gain might have to be lowered though as they need less voltage then electrostatics.

Didn't you make Duggeh a Stax-to-XLR4 cable that matched the TakeT's peculiar pinout so he could test driving the H2s with a Stax amp? Whatever became of that, if Doug wrote about his findings, I didn't see it.

Someone should take one for the team and order one of these: TTVJ FET-A Headphone Amp [TTVJ FET-A] - $649.00 : TTVJ, Todd The Vinyl Junkie.

Interesting. I wonder if that "RCA out" is a loop or a preamp? I suspect the former, which would be of less use to me.

Didn't you make Duggeh a Stax-to-XLR4 cable that matched the TakeT's peculiar pinout so he could test driving the H2s with a Stax amp? Whatever became of that, if Doug wrote about his findings, I didn't see it.

Indeed I did and if I remember correctly the 717 didn't have the balls to drive it. The H2's need a lot of current which the small Stax amp could never hope to deliver.

Interesting. I wonder if that "RCA out" is a loop or a preamp? I suspect the former, which would be of less use to me.

I am asking Todd for the answer to this one, although I would suspect it is a loop out too.

I talked to Todd briefly and he said that the amp pictured on the site is indeed a prototype that Pete Millett made up and he wanted to get a pic of it up just to get something on the website. The lettering and such on the prototype was not done by the same people who make Todd's cases and faceplates, so it should not be used as an example of the final product. I told Todd he might want to note that fact on the website.

I think this could be an exciting product, and I confirmed with Todd that he will be doing a loaner program.

In spite of myself, I did not bid on this thing.

33djdja.jpg

4g0kew.jpg

The Conrad Johnson PF-1 preamp, the first solid state pre they made. It's a handsome unit (in that stodgy C-J way) has lots of I/O, is rack mount (a big plus for me) an looks to be really clean. $340 shipped isn't a bad price, but... I didn't bid at the last moment, and I'm glad I passed. Looking at the pictures carefully I saw this:

50qv4k.jpg

See that "L" at the end of the serial number? That means this is a Line level only version, and lacks a phono stage. I'd have been might peeved if I found that out after I bid. :eek:

There's a C-J PV-7 tube pre ending in a few days that I have my eyes on:

34j3uh3.jpg

Pictures will look familiar to select Head-Casers.

I am asking Todd for the answer to this one, although I would suspect it is a loop out too.

I talked to Todd briefly and he said that the amp pictured on the site is indeed a prototype that Pete Millett made up and he wanted to get a pic of it up just to get something on the website. The lettering and such on the prototype was not done by the same people who make Todd's cases and faceplates, so it should not be used as an example of the final product. I told Todd he might want to note that fact on the website.

I think this could be an exciting product, and I confirmed with Todd that he will be doing a loaner program.

Todd confirmed today that the output on the new FET amp is in fact a pre-out with volume control. Pretty cool stuff, and sounds like an interesting option for King Knuckles.

So, in light of my *ahem* most recent purchase, I am now in need of a preamp that has at least one set of balanced inputs, and one set of balance outputs. Ideally, I'd like at least two sets of each. In a dream world, I could use three sets of balanced outs. After perusing the 'Bay and the 'gon, I can say with no hesitation that things get very expensive very quickly in the balanced realm. I am sure this surprises exactly no one. For the time being, I have ruled out a pre with a phono stage. Any preamp that anything even close to the I/O I want and a phono input is going to cost at least twice what I can afford.

Here's a few of the potential candidates I've found:

There's a Chinese company names YS Audio that sells two different balanced tube line pres. As I have said before, I'd prefer SS to tube (just as I said I'd prefer SE to balanced, and we see where that got me.) These pres are cheap, at least compared to the competition. Their quality is a total unknown to me, and they are, to put it delicately, impressively ugly. YS Audio sells their products directly on eBay. They list two models which could possibly suit my needs: The Balanced A1 ($720 shipped), and the Balanced A2 ($1130 shipped).

Looking on the 'gon, there are of course a legion of options, most of which are entirely out of my price range. There are a few that are close, however:

Number one: Gamut Audio C-2r. $1000, 2x balanced in, 1x balanced out. Maker is unknown to me, and the unit entirely too blingy for my taste.

Number two: Marsh P2000b. $750. 1x balanced in, 1x balanced out. Maker unknown to me, unit is relatively attractive.

Number three: Meridian 502. $750/obo. 3x balanced in, 1x balanced out. Well known brand, but it's an older model? Not funny looking, at least by Meridian standards. Lacks a real volume knob, which is a big minus.

Number four: Classe CP-50. $890/obo. The pictures of this one are terrible, but it looks like 2x balanced in and 1x balanced out? Well known maker, nice slim unit which is a boon in my overcrowded rack.

...and the two big guns:

Pass Aleph P. $1400. 4 ins, 2 outs. Any can be balanced or SE. The P iteration is an older version of the Aleph, but it does everything I want, and nothing I don't. Stereophile class A, storied maker, beautiful in its minimalism.

Pass X 2.5. $1650/obo. 3x balanced in, 2x balanced out(?) Newer and more expensive than the Aleph.

The truth is, I'm not terribly interested in the two Chinese tube units. The Balanced A1 is cheap enough that it's almost worth consideration. The Gamut unit might be okay, but its garish looks are enough to make me not want to spend a grand on it. The Marsh might be fine, but I don't know enough about it. The Meridian also looks perfectly acceptable, but I can't say I'm in love with it either. The Classe isn't that much more expensive, and I like it a hell of a lot better. Of all these preamps, only the two Pass models have multiple balanced outputs. Both are a serious stretch for me financially, but they are clearly the top contenders from a features and build quality standpoint. I favor the Aleph P a bit over the X 2.5, and it's a bit cheaper to boot.

So what I want to know from you, O Fellow Head-Casers, is what are the arguments for and against these preamps, particualrly the Passes. Is there another option I should be considering that has multiple sets of balanced outputs?

Here's the deal: I could have almost afforded a GS-X, at its old price, if I had not bought the Quad 12Ls and CDP-2. The thing is, I did buy those and the GS-X is now $500 more expensive. The only conceivable way I could afford it is to adopt the "Duggeh" model of gear aquisition, which is to sell all extraneous kit I have first, and then purchase what I'm after. I have traditionally followed the "Torpedo" model of buying the gear I want when I see it, and then figuring out how I'm going to afford it. ;D

The funds first model is more sensible, but requires the control of the impulsive buy finger. Having a gradually rising paypal balance makes everything you see for sale so very tempting. You've already got 2 lots of Quad, why not round out with the 99 Pre? You'd have to bastardise a cable to get balanced output though.

In that alternate reality where I buy a KGBHSE, I'll use to to drive these hideous things:

1208075452.jpg

Do it.

Go on, take one for the team and buy a BHSE for that TakeT. The gain might have to be lowered though as they need less voltage then electrostatics.

Spritzer says do it. Do it.

Indeed I did and if I remember correctly the 717 didn't have the balls to drive it. The H2's need a lot of current which the small Stax amp could never hope to deliver.

Thats basically the gist of it, the H2 quite literally sucked the 717 dry, right down to the fucking bone. If the O2 was plugged in and on your head and you connected the H2, the O2 just turned into total utter mush as the H2 vampired every single bit of power out of the amp. The O2 was better driven by the 212 than by the 717 with the TakeT plugged in.

Bloody hell, one of my posts has disappeared. I know I replied to hew regarding Audio Research, but I see no evidence of it. knuckledragger-albums-smileys-picture241-blink.gif

You've already got 2 lots of Quad, why not round out with the 99 Pre? You'd have to bastardise a cable to get balanced output though.

The HeadRoom Balanced Desktop, set to arrive next week, means I a now committed to a balanced signal path. I will already be able to wire things up, in a single ended fashion, without a preamp. Like so:

lappy -> USB -> HRBD

lappy -> USB -> Edirol UA-5

Edirol -> coax -> Adcom GCD-750

Edirol -> tos -> Quad 99 CDP-2

Adcom -> XLR -> HRBD

Quad -> fixed RCA -> HRBD

Quad -> vari RCA -> GLite

GLite -> loop out -> Quad 12L speakers

That is a ...wiring nightmare, but it will allow me to listen to everything through the HRBD. Once I have a proper preamp, I will be able to devise a much more sensible signal path. The truth is, I don't need 3 digital sources, and one of them is doubtlessly going to end up on the chopping block. I look forward to critically comparing the Adcom and Quad CDPs.

Do it.

No.

Spritzer says do it. Do it.

No. I couldn't afford it when the KGBHSE was $4500, I can't do it at $5000 either. Ask me again when if I sell my house on Marthas Vineyard. Maybe by then someone will have built the Gilmore-designed TakeT amp.

Thats basically the gist of it, the H2 quite literally sucked the 717 dry, right down to the fucking bone. If the O2 was plugged in and on your head and you connected the H2, the O2 just turned into total utter mush as the H2 vampired every single bit of power out of the amp. The O2 was better driven by the 212 than by the 717 with the TakeT plugged in.

Sad to say, I have never heard an O2 (or any stat for that matter), how did the H2 sound out of the 717? I'm guessing pretty terrible. I have only listened to the H2 via the TR2, first driven by a Yamaha receiver (unlistenably bad) and a Hafler P125 power amp (flawed, but tolerable and very interesting). Once my current rig has stabilized (read: sometime next year) I plan on reintroducing the Hafler, TR2 and H2 into the equation.

Audio Research makes pretty good preamps. Maybe something like the LS2b mk2.

To re-reply to your suggestion: I did a little more Audio Research ...research, and found this beauty. The LS9 is like the LS2B Mk II, but smaller and solid state. That is exactly what the doctor ordered. If this pic is correct

35jas7n.jpg

then it is exactly what I need. I am rapidly growing to love the Audio Research database site.

I have been busily selling off my worldly (non audio) possessions, and am within arm's reach of making a bid on the an Audio Research LS9. The seller sent me pictures last night:

2po78sh.jpg

wljpj.jpg

I love the Smurfy power cord. In some ways, the LS-9 is a strange choice. It's a solid state preamp made by a company renowned for their tube products. In spite of its excellent I/O, it has a fairly humble feature set and (from what I've been able to gather) isn't terribly popular with AR loyalists. That said, I have found no other preamp that does what I want as well as it, for under a grand. I briefly considered bidding on this sexy looking blanced passive pre, but the lack of a second set of balanced outs and dual volume knobs (a pet peeve of mine) made me deciding against it pretty easy.

The devil's advocate preamp here is this LS2B Mk II, which is nearly the same price and has almost the same I/O as the LS-9. The major difference here is that it's a hybrid tube/FET pre, and has the associated size, power consumption and heat dissipation. It's also an older design, but I'm not sure how much that matters. For me, the sonic differences between the units would have be pretty staggering for me to choose the LS2B over the LS9.

Sad to say, I have never heard an O2 (or any stat for that matter), how did the H2 sound out of the 717? I'm guessing pretty terrible. I have only listened to the H2 via the TR2, first driven by a Yamaha receiver (unlistenably bad) and a Hafler P125 power amp (flawed, but tolerable and very interesting). Once my current rig has stabilized (read: sometime next year) I plan on reintroducing the Hafler, TR2 and H2 into the equation.

Flawed but interesting is exactly how I'd describe the H2 when it was in a Rega Planet 2000 --> Dared VP-20 --> TR2 --> H2 rig. Now that I have a source that doesn't suck balls though it will be interesting to swap it back in and see what's what. The bass was bloated in the old rig, the treble could sometimes be bright to the point of being unlistenable, though with positioning it could be scaled down to manageable levels (whoever thought that a tweeter that fired as a ray in the middle of a massive and essentially supra-aural driver was a good idea?), and the midrange was rather recessed and dull. But, at the same time, you had unbelievable speed and detail, together with serious impact - sort of like the best qualities of dynamics and electrostatics put together. But, unfortunately, with a whacked-out frequency response...