Perfect pitch

GPH

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard that alot of musicians with perfect pitch are actually negatively affected by it when they have to do stuff like recognizing intervals or transposing to different keys for some reason. Dunno how true that is though.

It might be like those weird people with insanely good memories, but very little comprehension of what the numbers mean.

For example, there are people that could remember the number sequence 122, 124, 126, 128, 130...... 3406. But they completely misunderstand the simplicity of the sequence as just adding 2 each time.

It might be like those weird people with insanely good memories, but very little comprehension of what the numbers mean.

For example, there are people that could remember the number sequence 122, 124, 126, 128, 130...... 3406. But they completely misunderstand the simplicity of the sequence as just adding 2 each time.

Like a sevant?

I have perfect pitch. It was trained into me when I was really young and learning to compose and improvise. The only time it interferes with music enjoyment is when I hear a vocalist that's unintentionally off-key, which, unfortunately, happens all too often, or other instruments whose pitch is variable and up to the performer. It doesn't bother me when the vocals are intentionally off-key (i.e. Happy Mondays).

The vast majority of musicians have relative pitch as opposed to perfect pitch, and need to "tune" themselves by hearing a note before they are able to play in key. Relative pitch is a requirement for being a good musician. Perfect pitch isn't, though it sure does help.

Go easy on the blood I'm aware of your search for our ultimate local artist's CD...;)

Stabbed twice in one day....;D

Amicalement

Continue like this and I'll send you the best of Michel Louvain and a compilation of Helmut Lotti greatest hits for Christmas. >:D

Ooopss I didn't get the quote as I wanted. This is a reply to GPH I think in the first page:

Not necessarily so (about the need of having perfect pitch to enjoy and understand sounds). Can you name all the different colors and their slight variations and assigning them their frequency value? Probably not, and not a single painter, movie director, photographer... in the world can do it. Does that take any value to their art or the people enjoying it?

As I see it not being able to assign a frequency value to a note, and therefore a "name", doesn't equal not being able to differentiate a 410Hz tone from a 415Hz one, and knowing for sure which is higher. They're different things.

As I see it not being able to assign a frequency value to a note, and therefore a "name", doesn't equal not being able to differentiate a 410Hz tone from a 415Hz one, and knowing for sure which is higher. They're different things.

That is essentially my argument. I'm not musically trained, so I don't even know if I posses this perfect pitch. So let's say I have it, does that mean I cannot enjoy music? Does the fact that I CAN enjoy music then mean that I cannot possibly have the perfect pitch? That is essentially the argument made.