My new sweet baby

Chekhonte

While he is young and has no health problems, you might want to consider looking into getting health insurance for him. In now two separate bouts with serious illnesses, we have about $8K in vet bills into one of our cats. We love him and will pay it, but it would have been nice to have. Of course, it probably would have been canceled after the first episode 7 years ago.

While he is young and has no health problems, you might want to consider looking into getting health insurance for him. In now two separate bouts with serious illnesses, we have about $8K in vet bills into one of our cats. We love him and will pay it, but it would have been nice to have. Of course, it probably would have been canceled after the first episode 7 years ago.

Thanks for the advice, I am going to get health insurance in the next couple of weeks. There is a vet near my house that loves Rex breeds and said she'd work something out with me if he came down with a serious health problem. She said that the breed itself has to genetic health problems except a curling of the eyelid that can cause serious eye infections but that is obvious at birth.

That's pretty damn ugly IMO (I thought I'd try honesty rather than sweet cooing noises here), but if he really has a great personality then it shouldn't matter.

Friendly, outgoing cats are rare but are absolutely amazing when you can find one. A friend of mine has a Maine Coon that's very dog-like in its personality, if anything, and is one seriously awesome bit of kitty. Friendly, affectionate, and very smart. If your cat's anything like that, then I can see why you couldn't turn him down. I probably wouldn't be able to, either.

• 3 weeks later...

In sad kitty news, mine has gone away. She was a nice feral cat who adopted me and took my food but refused to become an indoor cat. I got her fixed and shotted about a year ago, and the vet hooked me up with a microchip.

I haven't seen her since last Friday. It's been below freezing the last two nights so I've been watching for her pretty closely. I hope someone else in the 'hood took her in, but none of the immediate neighbors have seen her either. There's a nice bit of empty jungle behind my house and I never saw her wander beyond that, or out toward the road. If she had by some chance ended up at a shelter they would have found the chip.

I still haven't ruled out the possibility of her showing up on my porch again like nothing happened. She just hasn't ever been gone this long and the deep freeze can't bode well.

My old guy (the cat I let outside) was gone for a week once - I called the city asking for roadkill report, dragged the city shelter, called the no-kills, and walked the 'hood for a week. Just as I was resigned that he was gone (we also have coyotes and bobcats locally), a neighbor called that someone down the street had a cat that had been trapped in their patio (8' brick enclosed) for a week... doh.

Don't give up just yet...