Ayre USB DAC

Hopstretch

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

spin your cds in your computer :)
clearly the logical choice... not sure why i haven't given in on this one yet, there isn't any good reason... stubborn-ness i guess. for a 25-year-old IT professional, i'm a total luddite... didn't even start computering my music until i got an iphone when the 3g came out... didn't have an ipod or anything before that... now no clue how i lived without...
As much as I dislike Apples as computers, they're really the way to go for audiophilia, huh? =(
won't ask why you hate them... but there is one thing that bites cock compared to Winbloze - ask someone about Audio Midi Setup.app and sampling rates...

I convert everything to alac when I add it to my library, so that's not a problem. It's not like there's bit rot in a conversion. And I rip my own cds a lot more than I buy flacs...

Besides, there are lots of music playing apps on mac that play all the formats. And plugins to let itunes play most...

actually in my windows days i ran WinAMP with an asio out plugin to my m audio 2496 card. provided bit-perfect s/pdif out and worked rather well.

worst thing for me going winamp -> itunes was sorting... in my winamp days i had my folder structure organized LastName, FirstName/AlbumYear-Album Name/Track#-TrackName, and organized in winamp by folder structure, and It Was Good... in itunes i've had to spend hours and hours fucking with Sort Artist and Sort Album fields to get everything to come up in the right order on both itunes and ipod...

used to use monkey's audio for lossless on windows, and EAC to rip... using XLD to rip on MacOS and ALAC of course...

the old windows/monkey's audio/winamp setup was really good for my anal retentive obsessive compulsive tendencies... i could even rip cds to image/cue format (saved in .ape) and create .apl cue files to add to winamp :D

I convert everything to alac when I add it to my library, so that's not a problem. It's not like there's bit rot in a conversion. And I rip my own cds a lot more than I buy flacs...

Besides, there are lots of music playing apps on mac that play all the formats. And plugins to let itunes play most...

Right, that's fine for you. I was addressing "foobar is only popular because it helps fix what sucks about windows music stuff" (Ayre's website even recommends other players that defeat Windows Kmixer as well).

that's not the only reason it's popular.

A couple of recent tidbits on the QB-9 upgrade path from Charles Hansen. Just on the off-chance anyone else is interested.

It would be great if they would sell just the board to non Ayre/Wavelength owners. That, even I would buy. Maybe when one of you guys upgrade, I'll buy the old board off of you ... seriously.

I use foobar on my netbook, since it can barley power anything else. I use iTunes on everything else though.

I've tried other stuff, but I'm just too hooked on the iTunes interface to use anything else. Its more satisfying than Foobar, aesthetically.

Must admit I like the "it just works" aspect of both iTunes and the QB-9. Plug it into a spare USB port, select in Audio Midi, open iTunes and you're done, for good. I haven't had a single hiccup in a couple of months. Click play, get great sound. Know we're all tweakers to some extent around here, but that simplicity and transparency have got to be worth plenty to most normal folks.

I don't get the foobar thing at all to be honest. I'm just not a tweaker.

I like foobar over itunes primarily because it is incredibly light weight and makes itunes (for windows anyways) feel incredibly bloated in comparison. Also that it does everything I want without need of downloading/installing/configuring any additional plugins. Moreover stock, which is how I run it, is stripped down while preserving a necessary feature set that is still intuitively accessible.

Anyway, for me, it isn't just because its tweaky and fixes kmixer.