Ayre USB DAC

Hopstretch

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he wasn't as interested anymore because it was USB input only.

... me neither...

I guess after she was stripped naked he fell in love again.

... ME TOO ;D

At last a discrete, really balanced, output stage. If only she had SPDIF input... it's just me who likes she had more than one input to play with? ;)

If this had just one more input (BNC please!), I would stop dreaming about the Berkeley and buy this... but based on the layout with the USB receiving circuitry on its own board, which I would assume sends I^2S to the main board............. well it probably isn't impossible to design a S/PDIF input board! switching boards to switch sources would be pretty tedious however. Monseigneur Hansen... are you listening?

Monseigneur Hansen... are you listening?

Suspect so. I emailed back and forth with Ayre a while ago asking if they were considering a universal player/DAC combo. The answer was no, but we will probably eventually have a high-end stand alone DAC, though it will cost a lot more than the QB-9.

A couple of recent tidbits on the QB-9 upgrade path from Charles Hansen. Just on the off-chance anyone else is interested.

The QB-9 is a modular design that has a separate input board for the USB receiver. The TAS1020B is limited to USB 1.1, which can only handle up to 192/19. Nobody uses that, so to reach 192/24 we will have to change to a new USB receiver. This will probably be available by the end of the year. Don't forget that 192 kHz requires Class 2 USB Audio (not the same as USB 2.0), which currently is only supported by OS X. The initial release of Windows 7 will not support Class 2, but MS will probably add it in a Service Pack after a year or two.

Anyway, Gordon (Rankin) is looking at various receiver chip options now. It will require many months of time to port the code over and then add the Audio Class 2.0 capability. (Instead of just "frames", Audio Class 2.0 allows "sub-frames" for greater data transfer rates.) Replacing the board will probably be 5% - 10% of the cost of the unit, with a grace period for recent purchasers.