Ayre USB DAC

Hopstretch

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ayre only makes sense if you only use a computer as a source. So don't torture yourself.

Plus, isn't it about time for you to move on up to the $3K price point?

ultralink_full__05470.jpg

He will upgrade to that one after he hears it at the NY meet. :P

I am really enjoying it now. It is like a Swiss Army knife I can change the sound a song by song basis if I really want to but I have pretty much settled on filter 1 or 3 for the Squeezebox and have no complaints.

The Ayre only makes sense if you only use a computer as a source. So don't torture yourself.

Plus, isn't it about time for you to move on up to the $3K price point?

ultralink_full__05470.jpg

He will upgrade to that one after he hears it at the NY meet. :P

I am really enjoying it now. It is like a Swiss Army knife I can change the sound a song by song basis if I really want to but I have pretty much settled on filter 1 or 3 for the Squeezebox and have no complaints.

Dinny, the price point is actually closer to $2k! >:D

AudiogoN ForSale: PS Audio Perfect Wave dac

Nope, it is only the start up process and if you push the initializing button on start up you can turn off the feature altogether.

My future Head-fi Review:

"Dearest Reader, I have about 50.73 hours on mine now and while I thought I might lose her at hour 22.36 when the burn in process reached half-life and the low end and upper range switched places for a moment, it has really come back together and become part of a squeezebox set up that I would say bests my upper mid-fi CDPs (Cary CD 303/300, Meridian G-08, Esoteric SA-60). I figure with one to two thousand more hours the chip will be burned it and I can really listen. I truly love you Dearest Reader, Forever Yours." :P

I had to throw in that scientific stuff so I look like a pro and can maybe get some freebies in the future.

Edited by VPI

Please elaborate on your extensive experience with both, lest I be tempted to whack you with a :basement: for being a giant :asshat:.

no extensive experience, just spent a day with both at a place Monkey hates, so YMMV.

both DACs are neutral, but the dCS has the most realistic HF quality/extension I have ever herd. Strat violin sounds so real I can swear its in the room. Alpha, comparatively, didn't have that realistic HF extension (hard to explain, but I was conscious I was listening to a DAC). Listening to dCS playing quartet performance is like listening to real violins playing, just unreal. This naturalness to the point of "real" spends across other instruments and music genres.

What ever dCS did to their ring DAC must be magic (or great DSP engineering)

no extensive experience, just spent a day with both at a place Monkey hates, so YMMV.

Ok, now explain to me what makes the Ayre just another mid-fi DAC? You were comparing it to what, a $30k digital front end? Did you compare the Ayre to anything remotely close in price or are you just talking out of your ass and trying to use hyperbole to impress us?

To be fair nate he was talking about the Alpha DAC not the Ayre.

I think my comments are relevant regardless. He's comparing a ~3k stetup to a 30k setup in a system that he's largely unfamiliar with and claiming that not only is the $30k setup superior (color me unsurprised) but that the Alpha DAC is just another mid-fi piece of equipment. I'd like to know how exactly he reached that conclusion since I don't think Jeff is exactly a shilling moron here to sell us on the Alpha and may have heard some ok rigs in his time.

Quite a few people have been talking about the Alpha being "the" DAC just the way some others speak about dCS or emm or whatever the hell else. So what's-his-face was stating that he felt it wasn't up there with the dCS, not that I give a particular crap what he thinks.

Since when did he call Jeff a shill or even accuse him of it? I just did a search and he put a grand total of 3 posts on this thread none of which I read to call anyone a shill. He expressed his opinion, came back and clarified why he felt that way and that's about it.

I'm not acquainted with the guy or if he's a douche that deserves banning or not.