Ayre USB DAC

Hopstretch

So the bottleneck in most USB DACs would be the receiver chip rather than the protocol?

Speeding off topic, is it silly for me to make a fetish of USB or FireWire connectivity anyway when I could just run optical from my iMac and enjoy both hi-rez capability and a far larger choice of DACs, vintage and modern? I guess I just have it in my head -- for no substantive reason -- that toslink sucks and should be avoided where possible. Is there anything to that?

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the bottleneck in most USB DACs would be the receiver chip rather than the protocol?

Speeding off topic, is it silly for me to make a fetish of USB or FireWire connectivity anyway when I could just run optical from my iMac and enjoy both hi-rez capability and a far larger choice of DACs, vintage and modern? I guess I just have it in my head -- for no substantive reason -- that toslink sucks and should be avoided where possible. Is there anything to that?

Go with toslink and a upsampling/jitter removing dac and you're just fine. I prefer it because there is nothing conductive betweent he noisy ground of the computer and the DAC. On my DAC1 you could hear the ground noise with very sensitive phones but through toslink it was dead quiet. YMMV with the amount of ground noise.

Correct. Yes. No.

I prefer the optical connection between my MAC Mini and the DACMagic compared to the USB connection. Didn't do a DBT but listened back and forth for a few days and settled on the optical. The USB always sounded a little "fuzzy" compared to the optical. ;)

This was my experience as well. Swapped USB & optical cables from the macbook to the DAC3. Optical seemed more resolving and the USB had an edgy or grainy quality. But no DBT here either.

Like I'm going to click that! :rolleyes:

Anyway, aside from the sound, which on first listen is very, very good, the USB implementation seems to be solid. I'm currently listening through the DAC while simultaneously syncing an iPhone and backing up to an external USB drive -- with no bus noise at all.