How does a beta22 compare to tubes?

veloaudio

I'm waiting to hear back from Stephen from Rockhopper audio about a possible home B22 trial. While I wait, can anyone comment on comparing tubes to a B22? I have a Woo Audio 6 SE so any direct comparisons would be great.

As far as music goes, I listen to almost everything (no country) but right now I'm mostly listening to folk and indie rock. Thanks in advance!

compared to most OTL type tube amps I owned, the beta22 was more open, fast, immediate, and intense. however, at no point have I heard a beta22 be bright. its just neutral, clear, and powerful.

sorry for the audio magazine language.

Thanks, that is helpful. I realize that the question isn't any easy one which is why I'm trying to my own A/B comparison. Just trying to see what others have experienced before I can do it myself.

Thanks, that is helpful. I realize that the question isn't any easy one which is why I'm trying to my own A/B comparison. Just trying to see what others have experienced before I can do it myself.

oh sure man, its fun to ask these kinds of questions on forums, especially when you are already excited about an incoming product. :)

I loved my beta but really it ended up being too much amp for me in my now humble headphone rig.

oh sure man, its fun to ask these kinds of questions on forums, especially when you are already excited about an incoming product. :)

I loved my beta but really it ended up being too much amp for me in my now humble headphone rig.

I don't have one coming in yet. I'm hoping/trying to listen to one before I buy. Another alternative is to go to the Southern Canfest in Charlotte, NC in February and listen to one there.

I started down this B22 qwest with the intention to build one but with our second child on the way that probably won't happen. Not to mention I'd spend way too much money and time trying to get the case work just right ;D

Is anyone running a singlepower loaner program?

Additionally, no one stands to gain much from a B22 loaner program. It's an amp built by hobbiests, not commercial entities. Even rockhopper is essentially doing this as a hobby. His margins are frighteningly small on his amps. One lost/stolen/destroyed B22 would significantly impact any non-huge entity's bottom line.

no, you didn't translate my comment correctly. you asked us to compare a specific item to an entire category of vaguely related items. my point was that there is no "tube sound." tube gear runs the gamut from anything to whatever, just as kitchen implements do.

I agree there is no "tube sound." I've owned three 5 tube amps over the years and they all have sounded different. Not to mention my sources and speakers has changed so there are a lot of variables.

Maybe the question I should have asked is, has anyone compared a tube amp to a B22 and if so what amps? How did they compare? No right or wrong answers and very subjective but I still thought I would ask.

I compared a β22 with my Singlepower Supra++. The β22 was deliciously transparent, but I still prefer tubes. It's probably just psychological. You know, "ooh, orange glow == fire == good to caveman".

This was my finding as well, between a B22 and the HP4. But it was very, very close. Honestly, I could live with either.

It was a while ago, but when I compared the two, there was a difference in tone, and I preferred the HP4's. I'm not sure that it was a right/wrong thing, more of a preference. Maybe the B22 was more transparent, and the HP4 too lush, but it seemed at the time that there was just a bit of grain or edge, maybe a slightly stronger attack in the B22. It seemed like the HP4 was a little gentler.

I cant remember for certain, but I want to say there was a bit more bass quantity with the HP4.

I have no idea if it was the tubes/transformers/other that made the difference, its just what I heard.