Internet service

Aimless1

For the past 5 years I've been using an ISP who provides DSL service. Connection and performance has always been spotty, but tolerable. Lately it has become intolerable. Last night I was able to connect, would get part way through a post and then the connection would be lost for the next several minutes to couple of hours.

After 5 years they finally sent a tech out to check the box & their connection. Tech sez everything is fine at their end. Problem apparently lies with the phone line wiring in my home. I'm not sure I'm buying this completely. Really only matter is I decide to stick with DSL. After checking further on DSL service, it's obvious that if you're having problems with one ISP, you will have the same issue with all ISPs. So it appears that DSL is out unless I'm willing to spend time rewiring the house.

I have not had cable service since 1990 and really have no desire to bring it back into my home. Satellite service is possible but reviews have not been postive. Apparently transmission delays. But I find new technology (at least to me) that uses microwave transmission. WIMAX seems to be a common term. Apparently these services need line of site from the antenna on your home to their tower. Looks like I have three potential ISPs that can provide this service. Reports of reliability and speed are better than cable service, much better than DSL. Cost is somewhat higher than DSL or cable, but that seems to be the only negative I can find.

Wondering if anyone here has any history with WIMAX service?

Really three potential ISP's that offer Wimax in your area? That honestly surprises me as it's still pretty new tech and not that widespread yet.

I wouldn't bother with Satellite, it'd probably be more reliable than your dsl but not any faster, probably slower in fact.

I'd just go ahead and get cable it's likely your best bet.

Definitely avoid satellite if at all possible. I have it (Wildblue), and it is slow, laggy, and not very reliable. Too bad it is the best I can get here.

Thanks for the heads up. Sorry to hear you have to suffer with it. You described what I've read about satellite.

I appreciate the comments about cable, but I don't want cable television and I'll have subscribe to their basic service just to get their cable service. So I now have a service I don't want or need (cable TV) and the price is about the same as WIMAX. Service is no better (if what I've read is credible). Let's just say they would be my second choice ... unless there are problems with WIMAX service.

BTW, there are three confirmed WIMAX providers in the Grand Rapids metro area. One has been here for 8 years, one for 5 years and one for 2 years. Better yet, my home may be able to be serviced by all three depending on the line of sight issue to the tower. But are they as reliable as they say and I've read? Are the speeds they advertise like cable & DSL ... potential speeds? This is pretty cutting edge technology which usually means there are issues that aren't widespread knowledge. Ahh, to find that out.

Given that wimax isn't even an approved standard yet, I'd be willing to bet what they're doing is more likely wifi with directional antennas. And speed drops off drastically based on how far from the tower you are. So do your research carefully.

If it helps, pretend you are just paying for the cable internet, and that the basic cable isn't there.

I have satellite tv and cable internet.

Given that wimax isn't even an approved standard yet, I'd be willing to bet what they're doing is more likely wifi with directional antennas. And speed drops off drastically based on how far from the tower you are. So do your research carefully.

If it helps, pretend you are just paying for the cable internet, and that the basic cable isn't there.

I have satellite tv and cable internet.

Same here, directtv for television and cable for internet, cable is the way to go, I had verison DSL and had the same type of issues you had. Hell, they even disconnected me a few times when going to install for a neighbor and left me paying for a pile of shit in my hand.

What you can try during a time where the modem is consistently failing to sync is to plug it directly into the phone interface on the side of the house (either extension cord or long phone cord through a window), and see if it syncs up fine then. That'll help you determine if it's a telco problem or a house wiring problem.

• 3 weeks later...

I've learned a bit since I brought this up for discussion.

WIMAX is extraordinarily reliable providing there is a clear line of site to one of their towers. Local business owners report no down time for the past 12-18 months. I live in a neighborhood with many mature trees so this option is off the table. There is no clear line of site to be found.

My DSL provider is about to be fired. Two tech calls. They tweaked the settings at the phone box. Continue to claim no problems at their end. I ran a CAT5e line from the box to a new wall plate connection and I still get drop outs. No connections to the old phone service. They continue to tell me there is alot of noise in the line and this is causing the drop outs. When told this is a brand new CAT5e line to new connections they have nothing to offer for a solution. I've followed up on just about every old wives tale and suggestion I can find online for DSL dropouts. No success.

Satellite service is out for a variety of reasons.

So I'm stuck with cable. Still irritates me that I have to have their cable television in order to get their internet service. So I'll be getting basic cable service. I refuse to hook it to the main TV. I get wonderful HDTV reception over the air. Not about to pay more to get HDTV over their cable for the same channels I get now. I'll run cable to the other TV which we never use.

Unlike many, I'm no fan of television and really don't watch much.

If it were possible WIMAX would be my first choice. This seems to be the best internet only solution out there. Cable is my best last option if I want reliable internet service at home. Tomorrow is the install.