New TTVJ FET-A Headphone Amp / Preamp

Voltron

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The D5 in the part number means a DIN-5 connector, which is what the TTVJ pic and your Elpac pic use. Interesting that clicking on the datasheet link goest to iccus corp. who it appears bought elpac. Looking at the commercial lineup, I don't see the WM071 listed anymore, though it is in the WM.pdf datasheet still, but that is an Elpac datasheet. Doesn't bode well for commercial gear using this PSU unless it is an oversight.

Is it me .... or does this amp look both ugly and cheap? The volume knob really looks funky.

Well, looks don't really have any impact on sound quality right?

Yeah, no bling... here all the $$$ goes inside!!

ps: I also like to have nicer looking stuff, but I understand Pete and Todd's thinking behind their products!

Huh, the power switch is still done opposite of what seems right. It definitely doesn't look fancy (and looks downright gritty) I think it could work. It's in a competetive price range, and if what could have gone into looks went into sound/quality, then it could be a very good option.

headphonedudes.jpg

OK, it doesn't have style like these two, but my pictures are crappy and done at night with bad lighting. Still, the TTVJ look is definitely utilitarian and nobody seems to like the volume knob except Pete Millett because it is used on the 307A amp as well! It was just something to get posted, but the amp does not look like it was built by Accuphase or Luxman. It is similar to my EC/SS in level of looks/style, although I keep asking Todd if there is some reason the DIY guys like Nate can come up with beautiful one-off cases and face plates like the recent Beta22 for tyrion. He seems to believe it would be too expensive and obviously believes the money is better spent on internals and design.