Charlotte NC 2/21/09 (CanFest 2009)

Asr

Been wanting to go to a Head-Fi meet incognito for a long time so I finally did it for "CanFest" in Charlotte, NC. The meet is tomorrow but I'm here and I have some pre-meet impressions to share. Oh and half the reason I came to this meet: Joe Grado! :D

Closed headphones at Sam Ash (across from the hotel)

- Ultrasone Proline 650 vs Senn HD280 Pro vs Sony MDR-7506:

There was some obnoxious techno music running on this multi-headphone display so my impressions are limited on that alone, but despite that I could still tell that the Ultrasone 650 sucked ass, because it was honestly terrible, there's no other way to put it. There was a huge suck-out of all the frequencies (treble, mid-range, & bass) and barely registered any volume.

It was my first time listening to the HD280 (which I've been wanting to hear for years) and while it wasn't terrible, it wasn't that great. It was a lot better than the Ultrasone though - it had some bass impact, some mid-range, but not a whole lot of treble. The clamping was hard though, it got uncomfortable quickly.

I've previously owned the Sony 7506 (actually the V6) and I sold it because it wasn't that comfortable and the treble was harsh, but I found this one to be easily the best of the three. The bass went low, powerful, & fast. It had some mid-range (not a whole lot though) and good treble too, nowhere near as harsh as I remember (maybe it needs burn-in?). I ended up really enjoying my brief listen with the 7506, the bass was addictive (I love bass that goes low and retains speed) and it had good clarity too.

Pre-Meet Impressions w/ Ray Samuels

I brought my own Qualia 010 and Audio-Technica AD2000 with me and tried both on Ray Samuels' B-52 and newly updated Apache (latest updates reported over at HF), running from his Meridian 508.24. Ray had on hand his Sony R10, Audio Addict's Grado HP1000 (re-cabled with APureSound V3), and Senn HD600. Every single headphone in the room was balanced, including mine. :)

The first headphone I tried was the balanced HD600. It sounded ok, but wasn't really anything special to me. Didn't listen long with it so no other impressions.

The next one I tried was the R10. I'd previously written off the R10 so I was already hedging my bets but it actually sounded really good off the Apache - it had a decent amount of treble, mid-range, and bass. It still wasn't my sonic cup of tea, but I came away from it with a new liking of the R10. It also sounded good with the B-52, though I didn't detect much difference (I would've needed to listen more critically).

My Qualia 010 sounded ok on the Apache - it did seem like something was slowing down its transient response though (unknown what I'd attribute that to), but apart from that it sounded quite decent. I don't have much amp experience with the Qualia though so I can't say with any certainty how it was being driven. I hope to get much more amp experience with it tomorrow. I didn't try the Qualia with the B-52.

I next tried my own AD2000 with the Apache - again it seemed like something was slowing its speed down, and I can't say what it was exactly, it just didn't sound as fast as I've heard it before. It sounded ok though, and the setup still pushed copious amounts of bass through it (it is by far my favorite headphone as far as bass response) with decent extension.

I last tried the Grado HP1000 and was absolutely blown away. I've previously owned an HP1000 (specifically the HP2) and the one thing I loved about it most was the way it just sounded realistic, and I was pleased that Ray's setup translated that quality of it completely. The HP1000 also had a more open soundstage than I remember from mine along with very clear bass. The realistic tonality was the most awesome thing about it though, it immediately transported me. The music was an orchestral piece and I was literally in awe, as I know how live orchestral instruments sound. When it comes to true realism, IMO the HP1000 is the best headphone for the job, it's just supremely musically satisfying and I'd go so far as to call it the quintessential classical or jazz headphone.

Pre-meet pics attached below, taken with the help of my bounce flash. :)

post-903-1295115281182_thumb.jpg

post-903-12951152812426_thumb.jpg

post-903-1295115281282_thumb.jpg

post-903-12951152813048_thumb.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Equipment Impressions

- Cary 306 SACD Pro (CDP) > Cary CAD 300 SEI (amp) w/ Qualia: This was the first setup I listened to and nothing about the sound seemed initially bad. It sounded good, and the bass grip was very firm too.

- Cary CDP1 > Cary Xciter w/ Qualia: For a tube amp, this one didn't sound very tubey - at least as far as tubey meaning slow or thick. The overall sound was clean and clear with no obvious mid-range hump. There was a slight detectable treble roll-off though that masked very fast notes.

- Head-Direct EF1 w/ Qualia & AD2000: This was surprisingly bright-sounding, with nicely outlined treble. It was also fairly fast. There was more low bass quantity than in the mid-bass area too. There was a high amount of noise (as in music leakage from source) at minimum volume, which Fang was aware of and he told me that they're going to fix the issue.

- Music Hall CD25.2 > Luxman P200 w/ Qualia & AD2000: I immediately liked the sound of this amp - it was very solid-statey. Fast, firm handle on the music, with a very controlled/hard grip, almost as if it was pushing the music ahead of itself. Bass notes recovered very quickly (no plodging), and the mid-range was very clean, clear, & separated. The gain was too high for the AD2000 though which was annoying, though with this amp the AD2000 had a fantastic rock-solid foundation in the bass. I came away from the P200 wanting to hear it in my own system and I very well might order one. It wasn't entirely great-sounding though in either the treble or the bass, which I could probably attribute to the CDP, so I'd like to find out for certain by hearing it in my system.

- Marantz SA8001 > Woo Audio WA2 w/ Qualia & AD2000: At first it didn't seem like this setup took away any resolution or speed from the Qualia. It was fast & clear, and the layering was also very 3D - indeed, it seemed like this amp was a very nice match for the Qualia. However, with the AD2000, the bass was wonky - it wasn't firmly grounded, but it was still rythmic, so it felt like a loose cannon. The lowest bass wasn't very present either, lopsided out by a large mid-bass/lower-mids swell that made the AD2K sound visceral and large.

- Marantz SA8801 > Woo Audio GES w/ HEAudio Jade (latest version): I immediately disliked the sound of this headphone. It was very treble-tilted (which I actually like in headphones) but the soundstage was so cavernous, it almost felt like there was reverb in it. I'd definitely call it a bright headphone. And the bass wasn't very good, it was slow and plodgy. In terms of the Jade's physical attributes, it was huge, with earcups that were way too big for my ears so it just didn't fit at all, I had to hold it in place.

Joe Grado Impressions

Despite his age, Joe Grado was still as sharp as a tack. He talked for an hour about various subjects including his revolutionary new omnidirectional microphone with a sensitivity so high it can pick up almost everything in 40 square feet, his background life story, and his professional experience with recording, all without running out of steam. He still has an obvious passion for music that was great to witness.

Pics

Rockhopper balanced Beta22

cf09_01.jpg

Audiotailer Jade & HeadMonitor1

cf09_02.jpg

Antique SoundLab Pisces

cf09_03.jpg

Portal Audio Panache integrated amp

cf09_04.jpg

Wright Sound WHA-22

cf09_05.jpg

Head-Direct's Qinpu A-3

cf09_06.jpg

Head-Direct's mini-size speakers

cf09_07.jpg

Head-Direct EF1

cf09_08.jpg

Woo Audio WA2

cf09_09.jpg

Woo Audio GES

cf09_10.jpg

ingwe's setup (Ayre CX-7 w/ Audio Alchemy DAC & Squeezebox)

cf09_11.jpg

Fitz's DIY amp

cf09_12.jpg

Cary Xciter amp & DAC

cf09_13.jpg

Cary Xciter DAC (back)

cf09_14.jpg

Cary Xciter DAC (front)

cf09_15.jpg

DannyB announcing Joe Grado, 1 of 2

cf09_16.jpg

DannyB announcing Joe Grado, 2 of 2

cf09_17.jpg

Joe Grado demonstrating his microphone for a Carolina Audio Society member

cf09_18.jpg

Luxman P200

cf09_19.jpg

Joe Grado

cf09_20.jpg

Joe Grado explaining his microphone

cf09_21.jpg

Jack Wu (Woo Audio) w/ father off to right

cf09_22.jpg

Joe Grado's recording & mixing equipment

cf09_23.jpg

Cary 303/300 and HeadAmp KGSS

cf09_24.jpg

Left to right: Mrs. Baird (wife of Drew @ Moon Audio), unknown, unknown, DannyB, Ray Samuels, unknown, unknown, Drew Baird, Dennis Had (Cary Audio)

cf09_25.jpg

Left to right: Jack Wu, Mr. Wu, Fang (Head-Direct), Joe Grado, Mrs. Grado, unknown Head-Fiers

cf09_26.jpg

Iteresting Grado appears to choose to use that Weiss ADC instead of the one internal to his Nagra VI or the TASCAM. Maybe he uses all 3 who knows. That Weiss ADC costs as much as the Nagra and 3x (or so) as much as the TASCAM.

Almost certainly using PCM not DSD though.

Edited by Dreadhead

ingwe's setup (Ayre CX-7 w/ Audio Alchemy DAC & Squeezebox)

The Audio Alchemy transport+DAC and Squeezebox were mine, feeding the modded Bada and Total Eclipse (DIY amp) respectively. The Ayre was hooked to his Bryston. We had to stack stuff up so much like that since ~90% of the table space was for manufacturers only, and members had to squeeze what space they could on the "buy/sell/trade" tables (and even then big pieces of equipment for sale that wasn't hooked up or anything got priority over giving members enough space to setup their rigs).

The Audio Alchemy transport+DAC and Squeezebox were mine, feeding the modded Bada and Total Eclipse (DIY amp) respectively. The Ayre was hooked to his Bryston. We had to stack stuff up so much like that since ~90% of the table space was for manufacturers only, and members had to squeeze what space they could on the "buy/sell/trade" tables (and even then big pieces of equipment for sale that wasn't hooked up or anything got priority over giving members enough space to setup their rigs).

Did DannyB sell all his shit? :rolleyes::palm:

Been wanting to go to a Head-Fi meet incognito for a long time ...

Man you and Jen have it so hard I don't know how you deal with it.

We had to stack stuff up so much like that since ~90% of the table space was for manufacturers only, and members had to squeeze what space they could on the "buy/sell/trade" tables (and even then big pieces of equipment for sale that wasn't hooked up or anything got priority over giving members enough space to setup their rigs).

fail.jpg

How are those head direct speakers?

They were pretty decent, Fang had them playing when the event was winding down and they projected well with good clarity throughout the mid-range. As you might imagine there wasn't much bass though.

Man you and Jen have it so hard I don't know how you deal with it.

Uh...what? And who's Jen?

Swooosh!

:rolleyes:

Apparently my "incognito" reference needs further explanation - I meant I wanted to go to a meet where I didn't know anyone, and in a geographic location I haven't been to before, as I've been to meets in NYC, Florida (CanJam), NorCal, and SoCal (and I'd never been to NC before). And I would've never figured out your reference either, I don't pay attention to celebrities.