Charlotte NC 2/21/09 (CanFest 2009)

Asr

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unfortunately Fang played the most god-awful "A-Mighty-Wind" type of folk-trash that made me want to repeatedly slam those speakers against the wall. When I informed Fang of this, he just smiled at me incredulously. Fang's cool.

re: fuck off my folk music > yuo

;D

The folk subgenre does have some cool shit though.

heh, Fangs one of the good guys as far as MOTs go.

No argument there. Jack Woo seems to be one of the good guys too.

Several MOT's recognized me from Can-Jam '08 and dropped by my setup to say hello. They had to settle, obviously, since the top-tier folk weren't there.

Oh, at about Joe Grado's 40-minute mark I observed two MOT's sitting behind their tables exchange "roll-eye" expressions. Priceless.

The beginning of the speech was interesting, I kind of lost interest after he told me everything about what his mic could do and then kept talking.

If I recall correctly, didn't Joe jokingly mention something about the previously used big bulky TT stylus used on turntable designs being good for little other then beating your wife with? I was happy that my girlfriend who was there had passed out before he got to that.

And then started telling us how the basic physics of sound were completely different than the rest of the world thought. For example, there is no such thing as direct sound only reflected sound, and if you eliminated all room reflections, you couldn't hear somebody talking right in front of you. :rolleyes:

I guess if the vibration of the air didn't reflect off their vocal cords and off of my ear canal, I wouldn't hear someone four feet standing in front of me. I'm not sure what he was talking about. He said the room would have to be suspended to test the theory. It goes against what I was taught.

And then started telling us how the basic physics of sound were completely different than the rest of the world thought. For example, there is no such thing as direct sound only reflected sound, and if you eliminated all room reflections, you couldn't hear somebody talking right in front of you. :rolleyes:

Someone ought to tell these people

The World's Largest Anechoic Chamber [audiojunkies]

They wasted their money, then :)

I guess if the vibration of the air didn't reflect off their vocal cords and off of my ear canal, I wouldn't hear someone four feet standing in front of me. I'm not sure what he was talking about. He said the room would have to be suspended to test the theory. It goes against what I was taught.

Yeah, that was about the point where my brain decided to take a vacation to a happier place until the speech was done. He had some interesting stories, but his technical info was way off base.

As it turned out, the room was too small but we had no idea how many would attend.

Now I feel he is just genuinely being disingenuous as he had this in the first post of the meet organization thread:

The list is far from complete. We anticipate ~100-150 attendees, maybe more.

The "Victim of Success spin" is really a crock :rolleyes:

ugh, I feel sorry for all the non-mots that came. Especially that packgrog guy who seemed to be shit on by everyone there.

Yeah... I kinda wish I had gotten there sooner, or at least ran into him before he left. Might've been able to stick together and help him have a better time there. It was hard to spot any of the HF/HC members there, I think most that came from either site were newer members, not much for established members. I did run into this one new guy from HF who was very enthusiastic about the hobby, and would definitely fit in at a regular meet (he *gasp* wanted to -talk- about gear and listen without judging based on the price tag), although I think ingwe got annoyed by him later on in the meet. :D

It's sad to read that, headphone meets are supposed to be about having fun, chatting with friends and trying gear in a relax environment, not some kind of audiophile society fund raising bullshit. I always found that headphone guys and diy-ers are usually more friendly and down-to-earth than your typical "audiophile" and this seems like a perfect example.

Yeah... I kinda wish I had gotten there sooner, or at least ran into him before he left. Might've been able to stick together and help him have a better time there. It was hard to spot any of the HF/HC members there, I think most that came from either site were newer members, not much for established members. I did run into this one new guy from HF who was very enthusiastic about the hobby, and would definitely fit in at a regular meet (he *gasp* wanted to -talk- about gear and listen without judging based on the price tag), although I think ingwe got annoyed by him later on in the meet. :D

]

That guy? I probably over-reacted to his enthusiasm--he wanted to listen to the r10's before I was done with them!