Dell Inspiron Mini 9 as a Transport

tyrion

I was thinking of picking up this computer to use as a transport for the Pico Dac: The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

It comes with XP Home, 1 gb ram and 8 gb ss hard drive. It's $299 and has a 8.9" screen. I would be running itunes only with an external drive connected to it containing the music files. It seems perfect as it has a small screen if any issues come up requiring reboots, etc. I would use the remote on my iphone. I had the mac mini, which was great but also had to have a separate monitor attached. This will save room and should do exactly what I need.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 500GB HD as a secondary drive in my T40 and use foobar2000 to an Airport Express (via Airfoil) which allows me use the laptop freely around my place while listening. Any way to add the required HD space to a Mini 9 so you don't need to tether it to an external drive?

edit: I guess tethering it to the Pico DAC means no real benefits to being wireless. NM.

Hmmm, I still think I might rather have a squeezebox and have a good remote option. Granted, you can do a lot more with the mini-lappy but if a transport is what you're after the SB3 or Duet still strikes me as a better solution.

Those are both options as well.

I have a 500GB HD as a secondary drive in my T40 and use foobar2000 to an Airport Express (via Airfoil) which allows me use the laptop freely around my place while listening. Any way to add the required HD space to a Mini 9 so you don't need to tether it to an external drive?

edit: I guess tethering it to the Pico DAC means no real benefits to being wireless. NM.

I have all my music on a 1 tb usb drive. No need to have it on the comp. The drive options are 8 gb and 16 gb ss drives.

I use an Asus EeePC 1000H with XP home as a transportable solution with the Pico. It is always with me as my small laptop of choice. I upgraded it to 2GB of Ram and a 320GB internal drive so I do not need to use an external drive. I prefer my Mac Mini as a transport solution in my stationary office rig because I have the choice of optical or USB out but I could certainly be happy with the Asus there if economic conditions force a decision. The Pico is small enough to sit in front of the keyboard on the left side so I can move about pretty freely with the EeePC.

No relation to the vendor, but I think this is a better deal. Shows as $350 but is $300 when added to cart:

ASUS Eee PC 1000HA EPC1000HA-BLK001X N270 1.60GHz 10in 160GB HDD 1GB PC2-5300 (DDR2-667) 802.11b/g at ZipZoomfly

Quick differences:

10" screen vs 8.9"

6-cell vs. 4-cell

160GB HD vs. 8GB SSD

Webcam vs. none

No BT vs BT

With the 160GB HD, you could probably get away with storing most of your music on the laptop itself, decreasing the total footprint of your setup even more. I am strongly considering this to go with a Pico, but funds are currently tight, so, decisions, decisions...

[edited for spelling]

I use an Asus EeePC 1000H with XP home as a transportable solution with the Pico. It is always with me as my small laptop of choice. I upgraded it to 2GB of Ram and a 320GB internal drive so I do not need to use an external drive. I prefer my Mac Mini as a transport solution in my stationary office rig because I have the choice of optical or USB out but I could certainly be happy with the Asus there if economic conditions force a decision. The Pico is small enough to sit in front of the keyboard on the left side so I can move about pretty freely with the EeePC.

I've been thing about doing the same thing for an alternate set up with an M^3, to replace a bulky 17"HP laptop.

Is there any down side to using a mini PC ?

USG

I've been thing about doing the same thing for an alternate set up with an M^3, to replace a bulky 17"HP laptop.

Is there any down side to using a mini PC ?

USG

I would think the only downside was that it would be less powerful if you wanted to do anything else with it (like watching movies, etc.).

I plan on getting something that I can (a) work on; (B) watch movies on; and © play music on, so I'm probably going to get the huge MacBook Pro.

So far I haven't come upon any significant limitations. It is currently my primary laptop for anything except running SAS. The monitor is a little small but I can use an external monitor at home and at work. Most of the time I do not.

I do this with an Acer Aspire One (same Atom processor as other 'minis'). My HD is upstairs (other, old, desktop computer) and music is taken by Wifi, then to the Benchmarck DAC (usb) and so on...

As video is related, the Atom and integrated video card are perfectly good for up to 720p video, more than that I am not sure (but the only video out is VGA so...).

I looked inside but... no BlackGates on PSU and no Vcaps on line outs :palm: