Simple Minds

GlendaleViper

Considering our hobby, I have to presume I'm not the only one that's sucked in by simple genius. This is a dumping ground for unique inventions that are underappreciated for what they are; they've become commonplace, obsolete or quite simply, frivolous!

A few of my faves:

The ZIPPO Lighter

20909.jpg

Simple in its mechanics, tank-like in construction, plus it makes fire. Fire good. I've been a Zippo fanatic since I was a kid. Incidentally, a more controlled flame (like a Bic) is probably the better choice for lighting firecrackers.

The Rolling Machine

Bambu-Rolling-Machine-web.jpg

Ok, seriously, this one is so damned simple I almost can't believe it ended up getting invented. But try one out - they work like an absolute charm! Every single time.

The Pinball Machine

We don't need an image for this one, do we? Between the physics, fun factor and ingenuity, this one might be larger-scale than the others, but when you crack one open it's not much different than ogling the innards of your favourite amp - point to point wiring and all. Classic workmanship paired with engineering and plain old fun. I get really, REALLY geeky when I have a machine to drop quarters into. Even more so when I can pop the hood.

[EDIT] Okay, I couldn't help myself. Anyone remember this table?

o_black1.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

EKG machine. You can diagnose nearly any heart condition with an EKG trace, provided the reader is knowledgeable enough to do so.

The fundamental principle how one works is very basic as well. All it's doing is detecting micro-voltages to create a picture of the heart.

I think ipods are one of the most well designed things that I've seen in recent times. Such easy UI and great form factor. Apple really understood good user experience with this one (as well as their whole product line ;))
I'm not sure it qualifies as "simple", though. Maybe simple to use, but certainly not simple internals...

The block and tackle is a great one. It's very simple and works extremely well. It's kind of the same principle as leverage. If you have a heave stone on a plank and move the fulcrum closer to the block and creasing the size of the lever you have to pull o the other side but it decreases the amout of force you have to exert.

I think ipods are one of the most well designed things that I've seen in recent times. Such easy UI and great form factor. Apple really understood good user experience with this one (as well as their whole product line ;))

It's a nice product, sure, but well outside the realms of simplicity! We're talking about a machine with microprocessors, DAC chips, opamps, firmware, a GUI and, in some cases, WiFi...

Fermentation :D

I'll add distillation on top of that. ;D

Would I be queering the thread if I told you both I love you? :P

And I'm glad we're getting some nods for simple machinery. The screw is an excellent example, as is the Block & Tackle (just for reference, you may have an easier time with Wiki's write-up on Pulleys).

As for blades, I'm a sucker for them as well. I was given a nice set of Henckel 5 star knives for Christmas and I've been babying them like an overprotective mother. It's sad, really.

[EDIT] Good gravy, I guess I was late on the pulley reference!