Tube amp suggestions for AKG K1000

Blackmore

I am thinking, just maybe, of switching back to K1000, but not sure if I could do it, because of financial issue. That's why I would like to see if I can find some reasonable priced tube speaker amp for them. Budget within USD 1500.

I was thinking of Cary Xciter, but he is to pricey if not say more, however the tube rolling options of it is quite nice.

Let see what you all think of that guys/girls

THX

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Craig from Eddie Current is working hybrid amp to power the K1000 (among others)

This is the info I got from him so far:

"I will be showing a tube class A hybrid that will do 12 watts per channel at the LA International meet end of May. This amp is intended to out perform the First Watt, and compete directly against it in the market place. No name yet, but it will drive the K1000."

And:

"The tube hybrid will have a front panel 1/4" phone jack. You will not need to use the ZD for a pre this is an integrated amp with input select, and gain select (Yes it has a gain switch, low for normal headphones, high for speakers, and K1000). There will also be a buffer version with no gain that can be driven by any headphone amp, including the ZD."

Might be interesting, as I know you liked the ZD...

Thanks for update, interesting, however the price would be more than USD 2000, I guess...Wonder what kind of tubes he will be choosing. Also would be interesting to know if this new amp is totally new and not based on ZD, cos I am not sure what ever ZD would be the best choice for K1k

Craig from Eddie Current is working hybrid amp to power the K1000 (among others)

This is the info I got from him so far:

"I will be showing a tube class A hybrid that will do 12 watts per channel at the LA International meet end of May. This amp is intended to out perform the First Watt, and compete directly against it in the market place. No name yet, but it will drive the K1000."

And:

"The tube hybrid will have a front panel 1/4" phone jack. You will not need to use the ZD for a pre this is an integrated amp with input select, and gain select (Yes it has a gain switch, low for normal headphones, high for speakers, and K1000). There will also be a buffer version with no gain that can be driven by any headphone amp, including the ZD."

Might be interesting, as I know you liked the ZD...

Thanks guys, any amps which have XLR in pls

There's a guy Jon L who simply put a XLR on his Almarro specifically for K1000.

Almarro A205a MkII AKG K1000 Special Edition (Pics) - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Again, don't mean to be an Almarro fanboy, but just pointing out you can have XLR. As others have noted, there are many, many choices since you are liberated from just head amps.

I kinda wish I still had my dual Darkvoice monoblocks around to try with the K1000.

I'm building the Pass F5 specifically for my K1000, and that easily falls into your budget, but alas no tubes.

I'm thinking the Simple SE + K1000 = complete joy.

FWIW, when I had the K1000, I had excellent results running it off an Almarro A205AmkII single-ended pentode amp. You can google to see more thorough impressions of that combo, than I can provide. But much lower than your budget...YMMV

JonL also highly recommends that same amp for driving a Stax Transformer with O2. I haven't heard anything bad about it yet, and it is on my short list someday.

EDIT - I should read all the posts before I post anything, sorry.

I've listened to an UR S2K at a friend's place. Nice sounding amp. However it had some noise -clicks and pfffzzzsss from the tubes- issues which made my friend ask for another unit, the second one had the same issues which didn't disappear after some burn-in, so he decided to return them.

I've had at my place with my own speakers other UR amps, the Unico and the 845 based SET monoblocks... I didn't like them very much.

Uhhh, that's bad...pfff...pity, looks really compact and nice...anything you may suggest?

THX

I've listened to an UR S2K at a friend's place. Nice sounding amp. However it had some noise -clicks and pfffzzzsss from the tubes- issues which made my friend ask for another unit, the second one had the same issues which didn't disappear after some burn-in, so he decided to return them.

I've had at my place with my own speakers other UR amps, the Unico and the 845 based SET monoblocks... I didn't like them very much.

No probs, I looked/asked around and have some ideas about, but one thing is for sure, I want tubes. Almarro looks very good, just send them the mail. Their price vs performance seems hard to beat and it will bring me one huge step closer to an possible speaker rig, cos for example Almarro 318B could be great for both, K1000 and for some differ speakers as well, at least if I can trust this review almarro 318B

THX;)

It depends on whether you want SS or tubes and if looking for a certain sound signature or a rather neutral sound.

I don't have the K1000, nor great experience with them, so any suggestion should be taken with a good handful of salt.

• 2 weeks later...