Some New Phones

dsavitsk

Guys, I may be in the market for some headphones. Knowing next to nothing about what's out there, I could use suggestions. Basically, I own two sets of phones. Etymotic 4p's that I bought in 2001 or 2002, and RS-1's I bought in 2003. I use the ety's when I am on airplanes, and that's about it. They are kind of OK, but the banging cord is too annoying. I love the RS-1's -- enough that I haven't really thought about buying anything else for almost 6 years.

But, I need some office phones. I am looking for $200 or less. Used is fine but they need to be findable quickly. Open is OK, but the Grados probably leak too much sound. Other things -- punchy (Grado-esque) bass would be good, and impedance should be low. Oh, and besides the fact that I don't like what they sound like, Senn 600's are horribly uncomfortable to me -- something smaller/lighter is good. Last, I listen pretty quietly which means that a little exaggerated bass is a good thing to me. And, even more last, being able to be balanced easily is also a plus as the amp I'll be using is balanced, though it is happy single ended so it isn't a big deal.

Anything fit this bill? 225i's seem right except for the leaking sound -- any other options?

You may want to give the Senn HD-25 1 II a try using either a stock or balanced Senn 650 headphone cord. They can use any 6xx series cord (easier if you flip the earcups) so recabling isn't a real issue. They work well for me as a desk rig, plus they travel well. You can find them used in your price range, new they are around $300.

Compared to other Grado phones (i don't know the RS1) the K271S bass is a lot more conservative, that supposedly changes a bit with velour pads though. Considering you're used to the Grado sound* i think you might be missing something in the highs too.

Earlier AKGs might be a better fit for your sound

I'd second the Dt770 or maybe 990 though

*assuming the RS1 is comparable with the Grado's i have heard (SR80,225,GS1000

I find the DT880('05) a nice complement to the RS-1. You can find them used for about $200. Haven't heard the '03 edition. Can't comment on the other Beyers mentioned as I haven't heard them.

The mids on the 880s are somewhat recessed compared to the RS-1. Good quality bass reproduction with somewhat of an emphasis on the treble. If you're sensitive to sibilance this would not be the can for you.

You can take everything I say with a grain of salt because I quite like the Senn HD600 sound.

Until recently I had dt990s (05), which had nice punchy bass, more than any Grado I've tried (325i and below), but compared to the Grados and Sennheiser HD6xx the DT990s were a bit too recessed in the mids and a bit too strong in the highs/sibilant for my taste. At high volume they were fatiguing and a low volume they sounded really thin and tinny.

That said, I have no idea what you should try, because I've pretty much only heard Beyers, Senns, and Grados.

Thanks for the suggestions -- lots of options it looks like. The headphone landscape has blossomed since the last time I looked.

Maybe ATH ESW9

How would people compare these to the formerly expensive, but now on a big sale everywhere, A700's? Actually, it looks like these are both on sale -- $225 v. about $110. Worth the extra?

If I go closed, then one of those, or DT770's all look pretty promising, though the 770's availability seems problematic.

Good choice, especially from this baby, looks very cool. I remember listened to them from out of Zana&EAR, man, that was truly open eye for me, cos they do shine from an good amp.

Thanks again guys -- I decided that the ESW9A's looked like the best bet. Plus, since they are made from padauk, they'll match my padauk amp.

s3-1.jpg

There are fake esw9s all over ebay. Where are you getting yours?

I got them from here: BuyDig.com, The Internet's Digital Superstore which was the best deal I could find (~$225). They seem legit, though the phones no longer appear on their site -- maybe I got the last pair? Their website is identical to BeachCamera.com (other than the name of course) although they cost something like $3 less at BuyDig and interestingly, Beach Camera also does not have these in stock now while they did last night. They sent me a FedEx tracking number, so I should have them by Friday or Monday.

I suppose I can post a picture when they arrive and someone can tell me if they think they are fake. Any telltale signs of fakes?

I got them from here: BuyDig.com, The Internet's Digital Superstore which was the best deal I could find (~$225). They seem legit, though the phones no longer appear on their site -- maybe I got the last pair? Their website is identical to BeachCamera.com (other than the name of course) although they cost something like $3 less at BuyDig and interestingly, Beach Camera also does not have these in stock now while they did last night. They sent me a FedEx tracking number, so I should have them by Friday or Monday.

I suppose I can post a picture when they arrive and someone can tell me if they think they are fake. Any telltale signs of fakes?

they are actually the same company at least that's what their sales guy told me.

These showed up -- they appear to be real: real wood, well made, etc. I plugged them in and let them run for a little while, so their character may change a bit. Here's my first impression:

grado_rs1.jpg is to 1.jpg

what

esw91.jpg is to 416U%2BAClOgL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Oh, and they smell awful. I had to put all the packaging in a closet as the odor of industrial solvents is nauseating.

Forgive me for still being a bit of a noob. Is that...... is that a good thing or a bad thing

Looks like some HarmanKardon integrated, nothing very confidence inspiring concerning the tonal character ..

Do you actually find them harsh and lacking in the lower midrange?

I hope they open up somehow,

the few AT woodies (W1/5000+something i dont remember) i heard all sounded somehow distant unemotional and lacked in the lower end.

I thought from what i read the ESW9 would have a different sound signature though

If they don't satisfy you maybe Beyerdynamic is closer to what you want, if you consider the DT880 don't go for the old model though as in comparison it's rather bass-shy and distant sounding too

Edited by tkam
fixed the size tag for you

dsavitsk, I have heard two different sounding esw9s. The first was my old pair, which was pre-ordered, and the second was a pair bought by vorlon1, who after hearing mine, wanted them. There was about a year difference from when we got them. His pair had almost abrasive highs, and more of a mid-bass emphasis than my pair, which seemed to have a lower-mid range emphasis in comparison. I didn't particularly like his, but he said his "settled down" after a few weeks. I never detected a change in mine, except what could be me just getting used to them after 20-30 hours. I've known Rob (vorlon1) for awhile and have had a few mini-meets with him, and trust his hearing. Hopefully, if you got a pair like his, they will also settle down. If not, maybe they're just not for you.

I'm not really unhapppy. Had I spent another $100 I might be. The highs are not too bad, but there is a mid bass emphasis. The analogy was to suggest that there is a sort of flatness to them -- they seem to lack a little life. They are getting better with some break in, however, and at times sound quite good.

I should also say that as closed phones, I was not expecting them to sound as good as the Grados. Maybe the better analogy is that the Grados are to Oris horns what the ATs are to B&W 803's. I really need some noise blocking in both directions (I share office space and don't want to annoy others, and don't want to listen to them either), so they are doing that part way better than the Grados could. However, based only on sound quality, for about the same price I think my wife's SR325's sound quite a bit better and I would be disappointed with these as my main phones. Maybe I just like the Grado sound.

One other thought has occured to me which is that I always felt like the RS-1s were a little over priced (and I should say, I got mine during the Headroom/TTVJ spat when they were on a big sale). Now, I have not heard other phones that I like nearly as much (though comparisons do not go much beyond HD600's) but they did seem expensive for what they are. I think these AT's may have given me a new perspective on that; the Grados are actually a decent value in comparison.