Onion Thread

postjack

Q: Is there any non-dessert food that isn't made better by onion?

A: No.

Q: Is it ever possible to add too much onion?

A: No!

specifically I'm a red/purple onion fan, but I thought we'd leave the thread open to the entire onion universe.

postjack-albums-ra-picture738-eggs-beans.jpg

one of my favorites. eggland's best free range/organic with green pepper and purple onion. i like to pan sear the green pepper and purple onion with a little salt and pepper until they get clearish, then add butter and dump the eggs (with hot sauce) over the top.

Q: Is there any non-dessert food that isn't made better by onion?

A: Yes.

Q: Is it ever possible to add too much onion?

A: Yes!

specifically I'm a red/purple onion fan, but I thought we'd leave the thread open to the entire onion universe.

FTFY

Shallots are good, but I personally use them much differently than onion. Onions are big and fleshy enough to be a main component, but I'm not aware of any shallot-heavy dishes...

Anyways, I use onions mostly for mirepoix; I make a batch of stew about once every 2 weeks, and that's the majority of my cooking. In this case, I just grab the cheap yellow ones, because there's so many other flavors in there. No point going for the good red ones in this case.

I :ian: onion. Especially sweet onions. But if I want something to have a little bit of a bite to it, I don't mind the ones with bite, I just can't eat them straight.

One of my favorite onion experiences was when McDonald's had a sandwich of the month club (basically, an excuse to try a different recipe out every month or so), and they had this caramelized onion cheeseburger that was just an order of magnitude better than anything else they had on their menu before or since.

I basically went there every day or so until the offer expired. They musta found out that it wasn't financially feasible, because it should have been profitable the way I ate it.

And every single time, the onions came out perfectly caramelized. I have no idea how they did it, because I have since found out how hard it is to caramelize something.

onion soup is one of my favourites - about 2lbs of onion (sweet white ones) , butter a bottle of chardonnay and some spicy German sausage - can dig out recipe if really interested :D ..dB
Oui, monsieur. Merci Beaucoups in advance.

• 1 month later...

IMO, pizza, or bread on cheese, or anything similar, is best with onion.

My father-in-law, post-retirement, is now the manager of a public bath (this is Japan), including what was a bare garden. He recently gave us a bag of onions he grew in it. We couldn't be happier.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...